The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Organizational Dilemma - Urgent Advice Needed!

Our hs association was involved in a legal matter which was settled. All parties agreed to settle, with the aggrieved party reinstated. All through the process, we ,as the Admistrative Committee ( I am an ump rep on the committee, as opposed to being an officer) were al told to basically keep all details to ones self.

Well.....we all wake up in this morning, and find in the paper a HUGE article about the person who was suing us before - he is also suing the local hoops/hardball officials...and we find out half the article is about OUR lawsuit, and there are all sorts of quotes from the person who was our Secretary/Treasurer during this period! He is directly quoted about the actual
settlement, but there ARE quotes about it from 'another source' - which we all
know what THAT means.

Now, we already have an E-Board meeting scheduled tonight about this- several have already called for at least his suspension, if not outright expulsion. And there is another problem - this person also happens to be the president of our local ASA association, AND is our local PONY assignor. I know that personally, I am so disgusted with this individual, that I feel he should not be involved in softball in ANY way in this area.

All you UIC's out there - is there anything we can do????? What did is not directly related to the ASA/PONY stuff, but I feel it is detrimental to softball AND UMPIRING in this area in toto.

thanks in advance!
Old Tue Mar 13, 2007, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Our hs association was involved in a legal matter which was settled. All parties agreed to settle, with the aggrieved party reinstated. All through the process, we ,as the Admistrative Committee ( I am an ump rep on the committee, as opposed to being an officer) were al told to basically keep all details to ones self.
Sounds like your HS association 'messed' up and the aggrieved (always liked that word) party settled with you rather than sue you. So now you guys are "pi$$ed" at him aren't you?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Well.....we all wake up in this morning, and find in the paper a HUGE article about the person who was suing us before - he is also suing the local hoops/hardball officials...and we find out half the article is about OUR lawsuit, and there are all sorts of quotes from the person who was our Secretary/Treasurer during this period! He is directly quoted about the actual settlement, but there ARE quotes about it from 'another source' - which we all know what THAT means.
No, what does that mean?

Another source, are you assuming something here? No wonder you guys got sued.......better get ready to be sued again if you're not careful.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

I may be confused in the pronouns, but it sounds to me like your group is looking to get in even deeper.

If I follow, the group took an action against a member which could not be supported; he pressed it, you knew you would lose, you settled. You had an informal agreement to keep quiet, but it appears you didn't sign a nondisclosure agreement which would provide a remedy if someone spoke out.

Now that your dirty laundry is being publicly aired, you think you can suspend or expel someone because they disclosed when you didn't sign a nondisclosure agreement? You won't win that lawsuit, either; and this is obviously someone who knows his rights, and is willing to press his position.

I don't disagree that this public airing wasn't beneficial to softball or umpiring; but your association apparently failed to take appropriate measures to protect against that.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

I agree - too many pronouns, and since you were speaking from a position of knowing which person was who in relation to each other, it made sense to you, but none to us.

Also - perhaps a link to the article itself will help us understand.

And just exactly who "agreed" to not discuss the situation, and in what manner did this agreement get reached - as part of the settlement or after the fact?
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I won't push my luck by giving legal advice.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Article Link

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbc...ORTS/703130317
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

After reading that article, if I were you, I would not put anything about this situation in writing.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
After reading that article, if I were you, I would not put anything about this situation in writing.
I agree.

With continuing litigation, the less said the better.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

This guy is a putz. His counsel (though very little, I have too much respect for the attorneys I know to insult them by including this guy) noted that Oliphant wasn't given the opportunity to respond and defend himself.

Seems to me, his refusal to appear in front of the board to defend himself is what started this. From the story, it seems to me that this idiot had no intention of doing anything else, but bring action against whatever association doesn't treat him differently than the rest of the association. Wait a minute, wouldn't THAT be discrimination?

Stay away from this guy, he is trouble no matter what the game or association may be.
Old Wed Mar 14, 2007, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
"Run away! Run away!"

$90 a game????? OMG - I'm moving to where you guys are!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Mar 15, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

If you have nothing in writing.......

If your agreement to "keep the details to oneself" was not in writing, I see very little that you can do.

Hopefully, your board and association has learned from this and will make sure that all of your bylaws clearly spell out expectations and consequences for all members of the association. Anytime litigation is involved, everything needs to be in writing, agreed to and signed by the applicable parties.