Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump

Mike,
Will not argue with you about your beliefs on this. I
spent 22 years active service with the USAF. It is just
something in the past almost two months now that has
been taken up in the emotion. However, LL and Pony
umpires have been utilized the flags on uniforms for years.
Not sure of any other groups.

glen

Glen,

I'm sure they mean well, but it probably just means that they were unaware of the proper etiquette. However, even those in the military are only allowed to attach a US flag emblem or patch to any part of their uniform when and where authorized. But I'm sure you already knew that.

Mike
Old Wed Nov 07, 2001, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Roger,

I was trying hard to remember the other person I saw
with the UT after signature and could not. Tried Sam C.,
GCB [where the h*ll is GCB] Mike R., and Irish Mike., and
several others, just could not remember.

glen [/B]
Glen,

You won't see my name attached to UT as I had my fill of some of the baseball folks over there before it officially became UT. A few took a very dim view of softball in general and do not think much of a softball umpire's opinion.

At one point, after being invited, I was basically severed from the list as I had a few disagreements with a particular individual who would attack you on the side and then cry about it openly.

But that is in the netherworld where I have no intention of entering in this lifetime.

Mike
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
As far as the flag on hat thing goes, the following is a paragraph from Section 4 of the US Flag Law and Regulations:

No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

Well, they've went and eliminated the provision that the flag not be attached to costume or athletic uniform.

However, they did not change where a flag patch may be affixed, nor did they elminate the part about being attached to apparel or equipment which may get soiled during use.

I'm still not a big fan of it. As much as I respect what the flag symbolizes, I still believe it takes more than displaying an icon and knowing three letters of the alphabet to be a patriot.

Okay, just had to get that off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Mike