The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I just read Becky Davidson's article entitled "Understanding the Infield Fly Rule". In it, she makes many great points. However, it seems that her article does not address one of the most perplexing situations that oten occurs in softball:

Situation: R1 and R2, less than 2 outs. High, short fly hit behind F3. F3 back peddles and is ready to make an easy catch about 30 feet behind the baseline and well into fair territory. Just then, she is called off by F9 who was playing quite shallow anyway. F3 yields to F9 who also makes an easy play of it.

Easy this an Infield Fly?

It was not hit in the infield.

It was not caught by an infielder.

It was not even caught by an outfielder who was positioned in the infield.

In my opinion - this is an Infield Fly.

The ball could have been caught using an ordinary effort by a fielder who was positioned in a typical infielder position.

That's the criteria!

The fact that it was ultimately caught by an outfielder is not a factor because it could have just as easily been caught by an infielder making an ordinary effort.

The fact that the ball would have dropped have dropped into what could reasonably described as "short rightfield" is also not a factor. If an infielder can CAMP under a ball from a normal infield position ... it is an Infield Fly, pure and simple.

I think those simpler points were lost in her article. She made it sound more complicated than it is.

Bottom line: If a fly ball could have been caught by a fielder using an ordinary effort from a typical infield position (whether or not that fielder elects to make the catch or not) ... then it qualifies as an Infield Fly.

The only exception to this is a standard exclusionary provision: If numerous players converge and all appear intent on catching the ball ... the umpire should withhold the call until the situation stabilizes - which may involve a more belated call /or/ no Infield Fly call at all.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

{QUOTE}
I just read Becky Davidson's article entitled "Understanding the Infield Fly Rule". In it, she makes many great
points. However, it seems that her article does not address one of the most perplexing situations that oten occurs
in softball:

Situation: R1 and R2, less than 2 outs. High, short fly hit behind F3. F3 back peddles and is
ready to make an easy catch about 30 feet behind the baseline and well into fair territory. Just
then, she is called off by F9 who was playing quite shallow anyway. F3 yields to F9 who also
makes an easy play of it.

__________________________________________________ ________

David,

This is JMO, but in softball F3 is almost always up in front
of 1B. You stated that F9 was playing shallow, but not stationed
in the infield. Because of this statement I feel that F3 would have
been more towards HP than usual. Therefore, if a ball is hit 30'
behind the baseline, then F3 is making more than ordinary effort
to get there.

In your post or {Becky's}, whoevers, I think I would have to
HBT to view and call this as an infield fly. OMO.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

In David's scenario, I agree, it's definitely an infield fly. If the infielder is in position to make the catch, and an outfielder calls her off and makes the catch, that's an IF. It doesn't matter where F3 originally sets up, if she can get under the ball with ordinary effort (not turn her back to HP), it's IFR.

Bob
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bluezebra
[B]In David's scenario, I agree, it's definitely an infield fly. If the infielder is in position to make the catch, and an outfielder calls her off and makes the catch, that's an IF. It doesn't matter where F3 originally sets up, if she can get under the ball with ordinary effort (not turn her back to HP), it's IFR.

Bob,
[]
I did miss the back peddling, or at least I did not let
it register. You may be correct. I would still like to
see the play, but can now agree with IFR. BIG OOOPS,

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

While not the easiest to call, the Infield Fly is the simplest rule in softball once called.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2001, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
If an infielder can CAMP under a ball from a normal infield position ... it is an Infield Fly, pure and simple.
True - who catches it, where it is caught (assuming it is fair), or if it is caught, is irrelevant.

Quote:
The only exception to this is a standard exclusionary provision: If numerous players converge and all appear intent on catching the ball ... the umpire should withhold the call until the situation stabilizes - which may involve a more belated call /or/ no Infield Fly call at all.
Unless I misunderstand what you are saying here, I disagree with this. Whether the ball could be caught with ordinary effort is the criteria, not whether the defense mades a keystone cops play out of it.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2001, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

You are correct. Whether the players, by their confusion, make the play more confusing, is NOT the standard by which an Infield Fly should be called.

I think a better example would be a high pop-up during high wind conditions. If the fielder seems to be having difficulty "camping" under what would normally be a routine fly, then the umpire should certainly delay his Infield Fly call until such time that the fielder stabilizes under the ball. If the fielder never stabilizes - I may just let it drop with no call.

Quote:
Unless I misunderstand what you are saying here, I disagree with this. Whether the ball could be caught with ordinary effort is the criteria, not whether the defense mades a keystone cops play out of it. [/B][/QUOTE]