The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   What's your call? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/2979-whats-your-call.html)

Dakota Fri Sep 28, 2001 12:00pm

R1 on 2B. B2 hits an infield grounder between 3B and short. Both F5 and F6 are going for the ball. F5 gets there first, gloves the ball. R1 collides with F6, both fall and F5 drops the ball. R1 gets up and proceeds toward 3rd. B2 has rounded 1B and is trying for 2B. F5 picks up the ball and throws to F4 covering 2B. B2 slides in safe at 2B. R1 has rounded 3B and is charging home. Defensive coaches yelling “throw home” from the dugout. F4 throws to F2. The ball and R1 arrive at home together in a cloud of dust. PU sees the tag applied just before R1 slides into home.

What does PU call? (ASA JO Fastpitch)

IRISHMAFIA Fri Sep 28, 2001 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
R1 on 2B. B2 hits an infield grounder between 3B and short. Both F5 and F6 are going for the ball. F5 gets there first, gloves the ball. R1 collides with F6, both fall and F5 drops the ball. R1 gets up and proceeds toward 3rd. B2 has rounded 1B and is trying for 2B. F5 picks up the ball and throws to F4 covering 2B. B2 slides in safe at 2B. R1 has rounded 3B and is charging home. Defensive coaches yelling “throw home” from the dugout. F4 throws to F2. The ball and R1 arrive at home together in a cloud of dust. PU sees the tag applied just before R1 slides into home.

What does PU call? (ASA JO Fastpitch)

Obstruction F6. As to whether I would call R1 out or safe would probably depend on what I saw happen in the basepath and around 3B. It is a good possibility that I would protect her only to 3B. Of course, if she rounded 3B with a full head of steam, I would have to be thoroughly convinced this would be the normal play, without hesitation from R1, for me not to allow the call at home stand.

Definitley, HTBT.

Steve M Fri Sep 28, 2001 12:29pm

I agree with Mike, definitely HTBT. Unless R1 is nonstop going home, the out call will probably stand. Obstruction on F6, R1 protected - but likely only to 3B.

SamNVa Fri Sep 28, 2001 01:46pm

Yep, that's the way I see it too. If R1 hesitated at all at 3rd, then the out at home stands. This play points out why it is important for the PU to watch the lead runner all the way from 2nd around 3rd to home.

--SamC

yugi-oh watcher Wed Apr 03, 2002 07:55pm

Where can I find a writing course?

Can anyone recommend a site that offers online training courses in writing as I am looking to upgrade my skills and I don't know where to start. Thanks

whiskers_ump Wed Apr 03, 2002 09:19pm

yugi-oh
watcher

You are asking Umpires on where to find a site on learning
about writing skills. Have you read many of our posts???
Just kidding guys...I can't help you yugi-oh watcher, but
if anyone knows, they will give you an answer, I am sure.

glen

Skahtboi Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:40pm

Heck...after looking at some of the posts on this website, this may not be the place to learn writing skills, but it is certainly the place to learn verbosity! (Is verbosity a real word?)

Scott

Gulf Coast Blue Thu Apr 04, 2002 12:09am

Verbose.......<i>expressed in or charachterized by the use of many or too many words, wordy......verbosity</i>

Scott.......are you trying to tell me something??

BTW.......as to the umpiring point.........Me too! :D

Joel

Dakota Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:40am

OK... you guys are missing the <u>real</u> question here.

Why would someone bump a 6 month old thread with a <big><b>completely</b></big> off topic response?

Skahtboi Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:00pm

Joel:

When are <i>you </i> ever verbose? ;)

whiskers_ump Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Skahtboi
Joel:

When are <i>you </i> ever verbose? ;)

<b>Nah</b> he is just garrulous. :)