The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 20, 2001, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Since the board is a bit slow I thought I'd throw this play out.

R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st. BR hits a ball into the gap in right center. R1 collides with F6 who is on her way to cover 2nd base, but gets up and continues. R2 slows at 2nd so as not to overrun R1. Both runners continue to run and round 3rd, with R2 about 10 feet behind R1. At this time, the BR intentionally crashes into F4 who is playing "spectator" about 5 feet behind the baseline. The BR then tries for 3rd and is thrown out on a close play.

What's the call and what happens to the runners?

--Sam
Old Thu Sep 20, 2001, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Just off the top of my head.

Obstruction on F6, who is not making a play on the ball. R1 and R2 score (award if necessary). B/R out on interference, eject for malicious unsportsmanlike conduct.

Bob
Old Thu Sep 20, 2001, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Just off the top of my head.

Obstruction on F6, who is not making a play on the ball. R1 and R2 score (award if necessary). B/R out on interference, eject for malicious unsportsmanlike conduct.

Bob
Speaking ASA.

What interference? It was noted that F4 was spectating, therefore, I assume that player was not about to take part in this play in any manner.

Since the runner can basically run anywhere they want when there is no play being made on them, the BR owns this portion of the field. So, the umpire would have to see something pretty damaging to rule it intentional, but there is no rule allowing the umpire to call an out. Actually, unless the BR changed his/her route to create the collision, you have another obstruction call. The question then becomes, where are you going to place the substitute for the BR after the USC ejection?

BTW, both runs score.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2001, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

But Mike, Sam said in his original post "At this time, the BR intentionally crashes into F4..." I don't know how we knew that it was intentional, but we know that it is. And that being the case, I would probably have an unsportsmanlike ejection as well.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2001, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

agree with everything Mike just said above + I believe you would award BR 3rd on the obstruction call of F4 then eject BR for malicious contact tell the coach he will need a proper sub or we have an out and he would play rest of the game short-handed and if already short-handed than they would have a forfeit.

As for my 1st day of the National SPA tournament we got 1 game in then rain-out rest of the day. Guess that means pulling double duty for the next couple of days to get back on schedule. What fun we have

JMHO

Don
Old Thu Sep 20, 2001, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
agree with everything Mike just said above + I believe you would award BR 3rd on the obstruction call of F4 then eject BR for malicious contact tell the coach he will need a proper sub or we have an out and he would play rest of the game short-handed and if already short-handed than they would have a forfeit.

Don
Not in ASA, Don. If there is no substitute, the game is over. A team may not play shorthanded if due to ejection.

As far as the "intentional" crash, my only thought what the intention was, to make contact in an attempt to draw obstruction or raise one's arms to run OVER F4. Either way, you are not going to get an out. You may not rule obstruction if the first part was true, and you would only have an ejection if the second part was true.
Old Thu Sep 20, 2001, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Mike as always you are correct my fingers sometimes work faster than the brain and neither or anything to brag about.

But if you didnt rule obstruction because the 1st part is true then would you not rule the runner out at 3rd since he was tagged before reaching 3rd? Then eject runner for malicious contact if that was the case or if not nothing but the out and a warning?

Don
Old Thu Sep 20, 2001, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
But if you didnt rule obstruction because the 1st part is true then would you not rule the runner out at 3rd since he was tagged before reaching 3rd? Then eject runner for malicious contact if that was the case or if not nothing but the out and a warning?

Don
Don,

You are correct, while focusing on F4 and the action there I forgot about the play at 3rd. Yes, if you did not rule obstruction, the runner put out at 3rd stays out. As far as the collision, if it was intentional, that player is done for the game.

I had a play earlier this year where the ball beat the runner big time. However, not only did the catcher muff it, but actually knocked the ball halfway to the pitcher. The problem I had was the runner trying to score had plenty of time to check up. Instead, he raised and crossed his arms and flattened the catcher.

Well, my call sorta went, "Time! Good news is that you score. The bad news is you're gone. Coach, I need a substitute."

More bad news, the team that was winning the game 9-2 in the 5th had no substitutes. "Sorry, coach, that's the game."