The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Ok guys I know its been a tough week and all of our prayers are with the Rescue workers and those that have lost friend and love ones in the New York WTCs, in Washington or PA.
Thank goodness my softball season is still conituing those 4 hours out at the fields help keep what sanity might be left.

My problem for this week. I am calling a National SPA tournament Thur-Sun which is a senior slow pitch league pretty much follows ASA rules except for a few exceptions.
I have done regional tournaments before but never a National any thought or recommedations to make myself ready to do the best job possible and not to look like a rookie going out there would be appreciated

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Don
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Honestly, as long as you know your rules and mechanics to a T, then the best thing I can recommend is to relax and have fun with it. Last year I got to call my first national tournament of any kind, and when I first met the crew I was assigned to the crew chief told us this; "Just pretend that this is like any other gig. As long as you know your rules and your mechanics(Using three man mechanics, 12U FP) then you shouldn't have a problem." We didn't. We got out there and had lots of fun and even ended up calling the two championship games. (The team with one loss actually doubled dipped the expected winner.)
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Don,
In addition, since you'll be the new guy, follow that baseball ump's adage and don't go looking for boogers.
Old Mon Sep 17, 2001, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

What Steve said AND go to page 175 of your ASA rule book and check out the additional rules and exceptions to standing rules concerning the Senior game. It helps.

Old Mon Sep 24, 2001, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Finished!

Everything went pretty well this weekend no big stinks one clarification needed by a tournament director that involved an International tie breaking rule and a little fuss over an obstruction call that I awarded the runner only 1st instead of 2nd because I didnt think he would of made it to 2nd but overall everything went well.

If any of you get a SPA tournament in your area I would strongly recommend working it. Bunch of great guys handling and they will treat you right. They had food and drinks brought in every day to feed the umpires also since the 1st day round-robins got rain-out after the 1st game they added an extra game on to the pay-check

Have a great day

Don
Old Mon Sep 24, 2001, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Glad to hear that everything went so well.

Speaking of knowing how to treat umpires right, I called a National Tournament for Dixie Fastpitch Softball last year. They had one of those monster camper trailers for the umpires, with air conditioning, AM/FM Cassette stereo, television, a fully stocked refrigerator, microwave, shower and full bathroom, and bunks to crash on if we had a long wait between games. They also brought in lunch and dinner, really good stuff like bbq and the likes everyday. We felt extremely spoiled during that tournament, which lasted just about a week. Talk about feeling appreciated. Every ump there had a great time.