The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Doublebase

Forget me not, but isn't the new rule for 2006 is that the double base one base after the runner passes it.

He/she can stand on the orange part of the base and run off of it?
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Gotta admit this rule bugs me; however, that is correct. The double base enforcement only applies to a BR.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Gotta admit this rule bugs me; however, that is correct. The double base enforcement only applies to a BR.
Why does this rule bug you? It's a safety issue for the play at first base to avoid a collision. Why would the runner want to stand on the orange part of the base in the first place?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Why does this rule bug you? It's a safety issue for the play at first base to avoid a collision. Why would the runner want to stand on the orange part of the base in the first place?
Well, the player in me plain doesnt like it at all.

But if I cede my position on that for the sake of safety (although I've not noticed any difference in safety when using the base vs not), then its not the BR part that really bugs me... its a runner being allowed to use any portion of the base.

its almost a travesty to have a "safe" spot in foul teritory.

But, this is one of those cases where I'm paid to enforce what they say and I dutifully do so even if I disagree on a minor level.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
It is not a "safety" tool as long as you allow the runner and fielder legally cross paths. The base itself is a dummying down item that makes up for poor coaching and weak mechanics at that position.

The runner wants to stand on the portion in foul territory to avoid being hit by a pull hitter, or to get a running start off the bag.

I've already seen this occur. A runner has her lead foot on the outside edge of the base. As the pitcher begins, the runner begins her motion. Her first step is on the inside edge of the base which not only gives her extra momentum, but a "starting block" off which she can push and the pitcher still hasn't released the ball! Same goes on a caught fly ball. We already have a rule prohibiting a runner from standing behind the base to get a running start, but this allows a runner to get the same momentum as described above.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha69
Forget me not, but isn't the new rule for 2006 is that the double base one base after the runner passes it.

He/she can stand on the orange part of the base and run off of it?
Is that ASA only?
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Is that ASA only?
For now. I am sure that NFHS and others will follow suit, though.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
For now. I am sure that NFHS and others will follow suit, though.
Maybe others will, but the last I knew, NFHS still leaves the double base for state associations to deal with.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Maybe others will, but the last I knew, NFHS still leaves the double base for state associations to deal with.
This is true.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Buddha, I know you are in Georgia. If you are involved in the current high school postseason, know that GHSA has adopted the ASA interpretation, at the suggestion of some of us umpires.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Buddha, I know you are in Georgia. If you are involved in the current high school postseason, know that GHSA has adopted the ASA interpretation, at the suggestion of some of us umpires.
Steve,

Is that routine in GA? Around here, the umpires are often the last one's asked about anything.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve

Yes, I am currently in GHSA calling.

I ask this question, cause "You may all have Umpires that still play ball and Umpire at the same time."

If your going to playball, but not call that night, playball but don't try to do both.

Had a fellowblue down here that does both.

Trust me he is a good ball player and a umpire, but you have to read the new rule for the year. nuff said..
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Steve,

Is that routine in GA? Around here, the umpires are often the last one's asked about anything.

Mike,

Steve is right, that is the new rule that NFHS adopted for this year.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Steve,

I am happy to say that umpires (at least several of us) have a strong influence in GHSA softball. The deputy director with softball responsibility has allowed a group willing to step up and help administer the umpire program (establish training requirements, run camps, rules clinics, write our own test, evaluate and rate umpires for postseason play, etc.) a great deal of input; as long as he has the final word, and we show improvement in the program, he has been very supportive.

Other than the deputy director himself, I would have to say that three or four umpires are the next most influential people in GHSA softball.