The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Rules meeting with rec coaches

ok, I know I have asked this before....but things change! I am UIC of a small rec league and every year the board asks me to have a "rules" meeting with the coaches. I have made rules request sheets to allow these coaches to choose their own topics, but as with all small rec programs I don't expect much response! The only thing I have so far is LBR. I posted this on a coaches website and OBS was mentioned, along with going into detail on the things you spend your most time explaining, or beign questioned on during games. So this is where my question to you all starts.....

What topics do you find yourself being questioned on / needing to explain to coaches during games?? I know during the game is not a time to give a rules clinic, that is why I want to do it pre-season so they can forget it all prior to the games anyway any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

How to interact with umpires - sportsmanship, civility, request TIME before entering the field of play, one-on-one conversations, no across the field shouting, etc.

Any / all local rules.

LBR on a BOB, especially if the BR rounds 1B. What is a "play" by F1.

OBS / INT
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Also, red/white bag at 1B. After BR becomes R, the red/white bag is just one big bag for plays on R.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Newer rules over the past few seasons

Pitching mechanics - double touch, etc., especially for a small rec leagues. Bad habits start here.

Commonly misunderstood rules - sofftball myths
- hands are not part of the bat
- tie goes to the runner
- must slide rule
- about to recieve

Lineup management: subs, DP/Flex (even though this is a rec league, this will help them to get to the next level.)

Game management:
- Communicating with umpires
- Appeals

If possible, offer optional on-field situations to visually demonstrate rules
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fastpitch Send a message via MSN to fastpitch
How about - How many of you are going to read and know your league rules? It is amazing how many rec coaches never even look at their own league rules. In our local parks, the younger the age groups the more rules with over 40 in some TBall and PeeWee. How about this one, "No infielder is allowed to go to the outfield and retrieve the ball before an outfielder has made a play on the ball." In some leagues it states this without the next sentence. "The batter will be awarded 3B" In other words, no penalty. This rule alone can take 5 or 10 minutes to discuss at a coaches' meeting.

Good luck!
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the responses already sent. Pick a few topics from those suggested that fit best with your group. I held a similar clinic last year and got everyone's interest by starting with a 20 question True-False test based on a list of Common Myth's or Misbelief's. After writing the test I had them mark their own papers and got quite a reaction when I revealed that the answer to every question was false. I added a mutiple choice question on how to approach an umpire to discuss a call :
a) Yell from the bench
b) appeal to the adult umpire ( we often work with minor age officials)
c) call time and run on to the field
d) ask the plate umpire to overrule his partner as he is the senior official
e) request time from the umpire. When granted, approach the umpire who made the call and calmly ask for clarification. If you have information to add, calmly state what you saw and ask if the umpire will check with his partner.

We did our clinic standing on a tee- ball diamond and used simple demos where necessary to answer questions.

I also wish you good luck. I had a lot of fun with this clinic and the coaches were quite appreciative.

Last edited by BCCanuck; Wed Oct 18, 2006 at 06:44pm.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCanuck
I agree with the responses already sent. Pick a few topics from those suggested that fit best with your group. I held a similar clinic last year and got everyone's interest by starting with a 20 question True-False test based on a list of Common Myth's or Misbelief's. After writing the test I had them mark their own papers and got quite a reaction when I revealed that the answer to every question was false. I added a mutiple choice question on how to approach an umpire to discuss a call :
a) Yell from the bench
b) appeal to the adult umpire ( we often work with minor age officials)
c) call time and run on to the field
d) ask the plate umpire to overrule his partner as he is the senior official
d) request time from the umpire. When granted, approach the umpire who made the call and calmly ask for clarification. If you have information to add, calmly state what you saw and ask if the umpire will check with his partner.

We did our clinic standing on a tee- ball diamond and used simple demos where necessary to answer questions.

I also wish you good luck. I had a lot of fun with this clinic and the coaches were quite appreciative.
If I choose "d", how do you know which "d" I chose???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
If I choose "d", how do you know which "d" I chose???
Pick the one typed with my left thumb. No - the other left thumb Now edited.