The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quick Poll - Knees

For those who have had surgery, replacement or just a bad knees:

Which knee is problematic?

If both, which knee started to bother you first?
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Right Knee. 2 Surgeries Still not right.

Paul
Old Mon Oct 02, 2006, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

I've pretty much got no cartilege in the right knee and only a "hair" in the left. Two years ago, I was looking hard at replacement of both with 5 years. Since then, I've taken to regularly hitting the gym, toning some stuff up and dropping some weight. I don't have anywhere near the pain that I had. I've probably still got replacement in my future, but I think it's out to ten years, maybe more.
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

I had surgery on my right knee 2 weeks ago for a torn meniscus. It tore while I was working a tournament in June and I haven't been able to work any games since. So far so good on the recovery. No pain where the tear was. I can't wait to get back behind the dish.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

My left knee started to bother me first. I think it was because I twist it as I come out behind the catcher and out of my plate stance. I am having it scoped in two weeks.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

The reason I asked. Recently, a group of us were discussing this topic and it seemed many complained that the left knee was first.

It was mentioned that umpires who buttonhook by truly pivoting on the left foot may be twisting that knee just a bit too much.

Personally, I tend to step into my pivot instead of spinning on the left foot.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Well, the left was first for me -- but probably not buttonhook-related. At that time (10 years ago), I was doing a lot more catching during pitching practice than umpiring...and I thought the bucket was for wimps
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Just that kneejerk reaction of mine that I had in college. So far, that is the only knee related thing to go.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting conversation topic Mike.

I've had this conversation myself. I feel the buttonhook have been overanalyzed. The intent is to get inside and make a crisp turn, not a rounding motion. I've thought that for years. The sharp plant is asking for trouble if you ask me.

I had a national school instructor who demanded the sharp, hard plant and then the hard pivot. We had a "slight disagreement" on the purpose of the buttonhook. He demanded the hard cut. I explained that anyone outside the realm of elite athlete status would have a hard time making the cut he wanted. He still insisted...even pointed me out. Said I wouldn't be able to cover plays in the proper positions without the buttonhook.

He made me run the famous "lost partner" drill where in three person the first base umpire takes the runner all the way around becuase partners fall down, go out on fly balls, etc (it's happened to many of us). I did the drill, at full speed, making the right calls at all the positions in the correct position. Even got to home and in great position for a play there.

He didn't talk to me the rest of the weekend.

Point? The buttonhook is obsolete. It hasn't been taught right in years in many locations.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I have found that coming in from A, with no play at 1st, I get just as good a look at BR touching the base over my shoulder as with a hook; and then I am in a better set to cover 2nd as well.

And yes, my left knee or hip probably will need attention first.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBLUE

Point? The buttonhook is obsolete. It hasn't been taught right in years in many locations.
I do not believe that. A "buttonhook" is a path, not a turn or position. Umpires who stray away from the buttonhook WILL get lazy as it pertains to watching the runner touch 1B especially if the ball is to center-left field.
Yes, I know everyone on here will tell me they don't, but there are a lot more umpires out there than on this board and they DO no watch 1B when they do not buttonhook.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,

I concur with you...it's a path. Unfortunately at the last 2 ASA national schools I attended, it was taught as a spot/move. It's not. It IS a path. The whole idea being to turn towards first base instead of breaking to second and not looking at first base. And it is intended to keep you at the right distance inside the baseline and away from the baseline to see the play if it happens at first base.

Just like the hammer or inside-outside theory, it is taught as an attempt to get people looking where they should be looking.

But the person who was instructing it (poorly, I may add) in 2000, and 2005, decided to teach it as a move, a spin, a pivot, whatever you want to call it. All he cared about was the plant and turn, not seeing the play.

Of course this person decided to tell me I couldn't call outs left-handed. Yeah, I didn't like him.
Old Sun Oct 08, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Bad Knees? I've seemed to have them all my life. Stopped playing slow pitch about 12 years ago, been umpiring ever since. Was told five years ago I needed them replaced but was too young. Well, the time has come, surgery is tomorrow. Having total knee replacement on the right first then the left next month. Is there any other umpires out there who have had knee's replaced? Would like to know how this affected your umpiring.