The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
How far do you go?

I was wondering how much travel other umpires are willing to make for their assignments. Here in New England, things are pretty close together so, even for college, 100 miles one way is a pretty big, and uncommon trip. For rec ball, I get the blank stare when I tell people I drive 45 miles for an evening double header. How far do you have to go for regular assignments where things are a little more spread out?
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I live in central NJ. I just got an e-mail asking whether I want to umpire an October college tournament in Lowell, Massachusetts.

Before I decide, I'm checking to see whether they will reimburse first-class air travel, although with the airport situation today, I'm sure I'd end up in handcuffs for something in my equipment bag.

For college games, I routinely travel all over the enormous Garden State. Next year, however, I'm going to take back roads and avoid the turnpike and the parkway. Rumor has it that a certain former governor is trolling the rest stops again.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
I live in central NJ. I just got an e-mail asking whether I want to umpire an October college tournament in Lowell, Massachusetts.

Before I decide, I'm checking to see whether they will reimburse first-class air travel, although with the airport situation today, I'm sure I'd end up in handcuffs for something in my equipment bag.

For college games, I routinely travel all over the enormous Garden State. Next year, however, I'm going to take back roads and avoid the turnpike and the parkway. Rumor has it that a certain former governor is trolling the rest stops again.
It would be quicker if you drive the to Lowell.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

For high school ball, I'll try to limit trips to 50 miles one way. Last year, I covered a game that was further, but that was filling in for friend who had a sudden problem.
College games are within 130 miles and sometimes I'll get back-to-back dates at a school & they'll put me up in a hotel.
Summer tournaments are within 120 miles - if they're taking care of the hotel and throwing in some gas money. If there's no hotel, then the trips need to be less than 50 miles. If I'm going to tie up a weekend, I need to be able to walk away with $240 after my expenses (before taxes are set aside).
I do have a couple of summer tournaments that are over 250 miles away, but I'm able to use those for a visit to family or a weekend getaway.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
For HS our board has contracts with high schools in about a 30-40 mile radius. College is a little different. We have some schools that are as much as 4 hours away. Our assigner tries to schedule a double-header on the way up and another on the way back. That way, with three double-headers it's worth the drive.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Here in Ohio, there are so many games to choose from, I rarely go more than 10m one way for a baseball, basketball, or football game, and ASA Sp diamonds are 5 min away....
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 04:16am
Official Forum Member

Here in the Netherlands, we cover the entire country. So my max. driving distance will be about 200 km (one way). For the evening games (mon - fri) I've set a max. distance on 50 km.
I got to go to work at 06:00h, so rise at 05:00h. When my game ends at 22:00h and I've to drive about 200 km back home it will be after midnight... (and have a very short nightrest)
I love to umpire, but my work ensures me to feed my family!

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
College is a little different. We have some schools that are as much as 4 hours away.
Is that all??? Actually, here in this part of Texas, I regularly drive 60-80 miles one way for a HS game. As for college, we cover schools that are as much as 6 hours away, but I always opt out of those games, and try to keep myself within a 100 mile range. ("Try" being the operative word in that last statement.)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Well, I live in a major metropolitan area.

Even though the metro area is very spread out, our assignors do their best to keep us close.

For HS ball, we have divided the metro area into six different parts and try to assign umpires either in the area they live and/or work or an adjacent area. For me, most trips from work are between 2-20 miles. We receive a $7.00 mileage fee for any game in the metro area. There are a few schools we cover about 30 miles outside the metro area that pay mileage at a certain amount per mile. I don't remember the exact amount, but it works out to more than the $7.00.

I also umpire in a statewide JC league, most of the schools are in the same metro area that I live, the closest school is about 5 miles from home, the farthest is about 50 miles away. These games are always doubleheaders, so I don't worry about the long trips too much.

For ASA and other tournament ball, there are facilities all over the valley, anywhere from 2 miles to 50 miles away. If I have to go more than about 20 -25 miles, I ask for more than 2 games that day to make it worth the drive.

I have attended the occasional tournaments outside the area, some as close as 100 miles away, some as far as 600 miles away. Sometimes I will take my family or my wife and make a mini-vacation out of it.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

It's been years since I travelled more than an hour's drive to umpire a game. Obviously if you are chosen for a national or a provincial championship here in Canada, it will likely require significant travel. Most nights I'm home in time to watch Jay Leno's monologue.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Well, this past Saturday:

11 miles from my house to the first double-header at 8am. $46. (18-Gold)
Then 52 miles to the second double header at 1:30pm. Free. (CC Evals)
Then 52 miles back to the first site for the 3rd doubleheader at 7pm. Another $46. (18-Gold)
Then the 11 miles back to home.

126 miles, 6 games, $92. A softball wh0re.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

All depends

It depends on if they are paying mileage or not. Longest drive I have made is close to 6 hours one way. That one paid mileage
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Free
Can you speak English???

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Smile

30 miles to Ankeny, IA for U10 double header ($60.00)
10 miles to next site (North Des Moines) U14 double header (60.00)
20 miles back home

60 miles and 120.00
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Can you speak English???
I'm only on my first cup of coffee yet, but I guess I don't get your humor...?