Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I'm only on my first cup of coffee yet, but I guess I don't get your humor...?
Free is not in my language . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

women umpire clothes

would like to find pants and shorts for summer for women not men....any help with catalogs maybe
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

never have been asked...but i would about 50 miles or so
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

That's kind of sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Free is not in my language . . .
I'll use your own quote to make a point:

All too often, our greatest obstacle is ourselves.

In Seattle, if we want to move up in our career, we get evaluated. The games we work for an evaluation are free - we don't get paid to do them. The money we would normally earn goes to the evaluator. The theory is that, if we want to work at a higher level, then we should be willing to sacrifice something to get there (i.e.: a game fee or two). Evaluators don't work for free, either. Who wants to go spend a Saturday afternoon evaluating umpires for no pay? My point is that, just like your own quote, if we want to overcome the obsticle of working a higher level, we have to sacrifice something of ourselves to make it worthwhile.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
I'll use your own quote to make a point:

All too often, our greatest obstacle is ourselves.

In Seattle, if we want to move up in our career, we get evaluated. The games we work for an evaluation are free - we don't get paid to do them. The money we would normally earn goes to the evaluator. The theory is that, if we want to work at a higher level, then we should be willing to sacrifice something to get there (i.e.: a game fee or two). Evaluators don't work for free, either. Who wants to go spend a Saturday afternoon evaluating umpires for no pay? My point is that, just like your own quote, if we want to overcome the obsticle of working a higher level, we have to sacrifice something of ourselves to make it worthwhile.
I can see that point. Guess I didn't understand your abbreviation. I just thought you were working regular games for free. I actually pay to go to basketball camps for the same reason. I don't blame you for that. So my apologies for the misunderstanding.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

The contract that our association entered into with the metro high schools does not include mileage money. Metro High schools normally pay $60 or a varsity and JV. Usually, schools outside the metro area pay premium umpire fees to get umpires to travel to their school. For instance, last week I was paid $70.00 for a 7 inning Varsity and a 1 hr JV. I traveled about 36 mi round trip from my home outside the metro area. The week before I called a 3-way and because it was Senior night and a 30 min delay for the last game, the coach paid 40.00 per game. It was on the way home from work and I was there a little over 5 hrs. How far will I travel? If it's over 60 miles one way, it had better be premium pay for the premium price I'm paying for regular gas...
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

For Rec ball I'll go 30-45 miles one way for a game (though I have gone 120 as a favor to someone).

For HS ball I'll go up to 75 miles or so one way.

For College, most of it is within 100 miles, but I do have several dates that are 150-200 miles away.