The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Here is one for you.

Have you ever seen an umpire asked to leave in the middle of the day due to doing a very poor job of umpiring. We had many complaints from different coaches about what a horrible job the umpire was doing and when we sat down and watched him for a while we understood where the coaches were coming from.

The cherry on top of this was when he let the same girl get hit twice, once in the stomach and the other in the helmet (two different at bats) and did not award her first base. I have no idea what the guy was watching, but it wasn't what was going on around the plate. The second time she got hit her father stood up and slammed his hands against the fence in which the reply from the ump was to eject him from the complex. When the girl asked the umpire why she had kicked her father out, he ejected her also. This guy was out of control.

It was a very interesting tournament this last weekend.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaump
Have you ever seen an umpire asked to leave in the middle of the day due to doing a very poor job of umpiring. We had many complaints from different coaches about what a horrible job the umpire was doing and when we sat down and watched him for a while we understood where the coaches were coming from.

The cherry on top of this was when he let the same girl get hit twice, once in the stomach and the other in the helmet (two different at bats) and did not award her first base. I have no idea what the guy was watching, but it wasn't what was going on around the plate. The second time she got hit her father stood up and slammed his hands against the fence in which the reply from the ump was to eject him from the complex. When the girl asked the umpire why she had kicked her father out, he ejected her also. This guy was out of control.

1..Where was the TD?

2..Where did they get this guy?

Bob
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

I was the TD.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

I've seen (know of) an umpire get fired at a tourney.. i wasnt working with him but just knew it was going on.. apparently wearing his hat backwards, staying on a knee and not moving on plays at all, wearing his ball bag as BU, calling safe that were extremely obvious outs, leave in middle of game to go to restroom, etc etc etc.. the district UIC canned him. They also said he appeared to be under the influence of drugs.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

I've tossed an umpire before as TD as well. It happens. It sucks, but it happens. I simply worked the rest of his game, and then found replacements for the rest of his schedule. Mine seemed to be a personal issue between this umpire and a particular coach, and the umpire was WAY out of line more than once.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re

Ouch, pulled him during the middle of a game? It would have to be a very serious offense for that to occur.

It happens. I have seen it done and have had to do it myself once. It is never an easy decision to make even if the person in question is a very poor umpire.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

He was not pulled in the middle of the game we waited until he was done with his game.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I've seen (know of) an umpire get fired at a tourney.. i wasnt working with him but just knew it was going on.. apparently wearing his hat backwards, staying on a knee and not moving on plays at all, wearing his ball bag as BU...
Does this person have a twin????
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:40pm
VaASAump

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaump

Where was the Tournament UIC?

Serg
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

I've had to eject an umpire in the middle of a game in an adult slowpitch tournament.

A few years ago I was TD and got called to a field to handle a protest. The complaining coach was protesting that the BU just ejected a second player from his team. I politely informed the coach that was not a protestable call, and the protest was denied. Clearly there were some huge issues on this field, as both teams were going nuts. I decided to let the coach have a few minutes to scream at me, hoping this would calm things down. It was the usual, "This guy hates us and is trying to eject us until we forfeit, our second guy didn't even do anything, blah, blah, blah."

Somewhere along the line the BU decides to get involved in this discussion. It became very clear that he was not going to calm down and was in no mental condition to keep calling games. I got the UIC and we herded the umpires off to a corner and tried to settle things down. The BU was absolutely not going to calm down, even though we were certainly not going to overrule his ejection(s). At some point, he shouted, the game is over, they don't have any more substitutes." The PU pointed out a substitute getting ready to enter the game, and said they have enough to keep playing. The BU then pointed at the nearest player and said, "Then he's ejected, too!"

At that point I broke off the discussions with the umpires, went to talk to the complaining coach and told him that we would not overrule the first two ejections and didn't say anything about the third ejection. The coach was mostly settled down by then and told me his team preferred to take the loss and forget about it. As much as I hated to do it, I accepted his decision and called the game.

I then went back to the UIC and told him that the BU was no longer able to call games; he was never going to get back into the right attitude. We told him it was time to leave.

The next day I heard from several players on a different field that as he passed them on his way to the parking lot, he was saying that he was going to go get his buddies and come back and shoot up the entire complex.

He has not worked for us since.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Ump
The next day I heard from several players on a different field that as he passed them on his way to the parking lot, he was saying that he was going to go get his buddies and come back and shoot up the entire complex.

Must have something to do with 6 months of darkness!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Releived

I understand that as the men in BLUE, we all in time have a game that we would like to forget. I was wondering how many games this umpire worked before he was asked to leave, If he was on drugs I would refer his name to the ASA and he would no longer wear the ASA patch.

ump mac
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Ump
I've had to eject an umpire in the middle of a game in an adult slowpitch tournament.

A few years ago I was TD and got called to a field to handle a protest. The complaining coach was protesting that the BU just ejected a second player from his team. I politely informed the coach that was not a protestable call, and the protest was denied. Clearly there were some huge issues on this field, as both teams were going nuts. I decided to let the coach have a few minutes to scream at me, hoping this would calm things down. It was the usual, "This guy hates us and is trying to eject us until we forfeit, our second guy didn't even do anything, blah, blah, blah."

Somewhere along the line the BU decides to get involved in this discussion. It became very clear that he was not going to calm down and was in no mental condition to keep calling games. I got the UIC and we herded the umpires off to a corner and tried to settle things down. The BU was absolutely not going to calm down, even though we were certainly not going to overrule his ejection(s). At some point, he shouted, the game is over, they don't have any more substitutes." The PU pointed out a substitute getting ready to enter the game, and said they have enough to keep playing. The BU then pointed at the nearest player and said, "Then he's ejected, too!"

At that point I broke off the discussions with the umpires, went to talk to the complaining coach and told him that we would not overrule the first two ejections and didn't say anything about the third ejection. The coach was mostly settled down by then and told me his team preferred to take the loss and forget about it. As much as I hated to do it, I accepted his decision and called the game.

I then went back to the UIC and told him that the BU was no longer able to call games; he was never going to get back into the right attitude. We told him it was time to leave.

Time to call the other blue uniforms, the ones with badges and guns.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Sent my first "blue" home this year

I was UIC a few weeks ago for a local tourney...had to evaluate umpires...long story short, after showing up without the proper uniform, and after I redid the schedule so that this umpire could work with umpires who had uniforms to match this umpire, this umpire decides to tie up the uniform sleeves with sleeve-ties (and untuck the shirt...looked really sloppy to the point parents were pointing it out to me). Then when I asked this umpire to take the ties out, this umpire called me an *** in front of a bunch of fans (and 10 year old kids).

Needless to say, the umpire finished the game and then went home.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBLUE
Then when I asked this umpire to take the ties out, this umpire called me an *** in front of a bunch of fans (and 10 year old kids).

Needless to say, the umpire finished the game and then went home.
I would have sent him home right there and finished his game for him.