The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Umps get some props in this article....

It's from the Herald Chronicle in Winchester,TN where my parents grew up. I read the paper all the time to kepp "caught up" on things up there and this article stuck with me.The article is about umpiring and what it was like a looooong time ago as opposed to now.

http://68.156.182.70/Repository/ml.a...sh-skin-custom
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimp8
It's from the Herald Chronicle in Winchester,TN where my parents grew up. I read the paper all the time to kepp "caught up" on things up there and this article stuck with me.The article is about umpiring and what it was like a looooong time ago as opposed to now.

http://68.156.182.70/Repository/ml.a...sh-skin-custom
That writer should get the Pulitzer Prize. Many years ago, mid-70s, our LL finally had some new board members who agreed that another qualified ump and myself would train umpires for the Minor Division. The Major managers and coaches were required to work one game in the first and second halves of the season. We also had some Sr. Division players who had volunteered. Early in the second half, one of the Major managers said to me, "Bob, I'll never b***h about another umpire again. I didn't realize how hard it is".

Bob
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
The link to the article is gone. I'd like to read it. If you have it electronically, please e-mail it to me. Thanks!
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Here you go...

Cut and paste.....Here's the phone number for the paper. I can't find an email address for him.(931) 967-2298

Publication:Winchester Herald-Chronicle; Date:Jul 14, 2006; Section:Sports; Page Number:8

Men In Blue Continue Delivering, Even If Some Fans Disagree

By Bob Salmon Sports Writer

Umpires….the most unpopular folks in the universe!

In an age where doctors, scientists and law enforcement officials look to DNA to heal the sick, discover new microscopic worlds and convict the guilty, many folks are of the opinion that umpires should be screened for DNA flaws that might be causing the men in blue to make some of the ridiculous calls they make.

Some researchers are inclined to believe that many criminals act the way they do because their DNA, for some unknown reason, has gone a little haywire. Some sports fans feel the same way about umpires. Maybe the umpire's DNA is busted.

This reporter grew up in an age of wooden bats, rosin bags, no outfield fences and bases that were tied down by straps. Little League batters wore helmets that covered the ears and back of the head only. Catchers wore a flimsy wire mask and most teams shared catching equipment. The pitcher's rubber, if there was one, was a piece of wood nailed into the clay. Most of the time, the same ball was used the entire game, and if a batter fouled it off, "time out" was called until the nearest player to it could run it down. Umpires wore a beannie-type blue hat and they protected themselves with a gigantic inflatable protector that covered their entire body. They strapped the protector over each arm and held on to it by a strap on the back. They got paid zip.

Today's men in blue have streamlined chest protective equipment and sophisticated shin-guards. They wear special shoes and they have a bag full of clean white baseballs. They also get paid.

In this reporter's day, "umpires" were usually dads who showed up early for the game. It wasn't unusual for an "umpire" to be excused during a game to go to work. He would simply walk over to the bleachers and explain his situation, and another dad would make his way on to the diamond.

Today, umpires are "certified" and are recognized members of an "association." They are usually placed on a rotating schedule and know exactly where they should be and at what time.

But when this reporter stepped on to the Little League field back in the day, or when these modern officials yell "play ball," all those so-called "differences" vanish immediately. Yesterday or today, ancient or modern, the men in blue are there to call balls-andstrikes and outs.

Since this reporter has umpired hundreds of games, my years of experience have taught me that every umpire in every game never misses a call. Before you toss this article….read on.

Have you ever given serious thought to what could happen if sporting events did not have umpires or some type of "official" to ensure that the rules are enforced?

For a moment, imagine a baseball game without a home-plate umpire….that is someone who has to make the final determination of where the pitch is. Is it a "strike" or a "ball"? Who's right?

It has always been amazing to this reporter how well folks can see "behind" the plate, while at the same time sitting 50' away on the "sides" of the diamond. What is even more amazing is that the folks along the visitor's side of the field see the pitch one way and the folks along the side of the home team see the pitch another way.

It continues to be so refreshing to this sportswriter to attend baseball games where there are no instant replays to "make sure" the men in blue have made the correct call. In reality…sure the umps miss a call now-and-then. But folks, missing calls is part of the game. It always has been and hopefully it will always be part of the game.

If this reporter had his way…any mom or dad or fan who constantly disagreed with the calls of the men in blue should, after so many complaints during a ball game, be asked to "come on down" to the field of play and strap on the ole gear. After one or maybe two pitches, they'd be yearning for those bleachers and that haven of safety.

MEN IN BLUE--Baseball umpires have "evolved" over the years, but the name of the game continues to be calling "balls" and "strikes." They continue to work hard every game and are a vital part of any baseball game. In this photo, veteran umpire D.J. Brock gets in position to make a close call at first base. --H-C-Photo by Bob Salmon
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If this reporter had his way…any mom or dad or fan who constantly disagreed with the calls of the men in blue should, after so many complaints during a ball game, be asked to "come on down" to the field of play and strap on the ole gear. After one or maybe two pitches, they'd be yearning for those bleachers and that haven of safety.
I use to do this routinely. Some idiot wants to *****, moan and whine about every call. Between innings I would walk back to the screen and offer the individual my indicator. When asked what I was doing, I had no problem suggesting they get their fat *** out on the field and do my job.

I wouldn't do this now. Now, I offer them my card and tell them the clinics begin in March.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I wouldn't do this now. Now, I offer them my card and tell them the clinics begin in March.
I had the bases in a JUCO game this spring. My partner called an excellent game on the plate. Home team lost a close one. On the way to the parking lot a boyfriend of one of the players berated my partner on his strike zone. I told him to come out and umpire with us. My partner added, "But buy a jock first. I doubt if you own one."