The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

behind the pitcher?

Have you ever called from behind the pitcher? I've never seen this (even in the youngest age groups), until last week. It was a fastpitch ASA rec league game between area small towns - 18U. The games are more relaxed than regular high school season, but they are generally competitive. I was really surprised to see the only umpire working behind the pitcher. Most of the spectators had never even heard of such a thing.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmom
Have you ever called from behind the pitcher? I've never seen this (even in the youngest age groups), until last week. It was a fastpitch ASA rec league game between area small towns - 18U. The games are more relaxed than regular high school season, but they are generally competitive. I was really surprised to see the only umpire working behind the pitcher. Most of the spectators had never even heard of such a thing.

I have done it. The only time that I have done it, I was waiting for my partner who was the PU. This was at a tournament, and the umpires' room was about a half a mile from the fields(so it seemed), and the UIC wanted to keep games on time. My partner and I were having to work four back to back games on this morning, so we only changed once. I worked a total of one inning that way and hated it.

On the other hand, there was a local league around these parts where that was once a fairly common occurance, however. I would show up to work one man, with all of my gear on, and would take my position behind the plate. The other umpires looked at me as though I was from Mars!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Only in some scrimmages when there were no umps and I had no gear with me.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then "most spectators" haven't been around very long. In my youth, many a game were called from behind the pitcher, more often at the younger ages. There were multiple reasons, but I think the best was that the catchers couldn't stop a pitch if their life depended on in and no amount of protective gear, not even the balloon was going to properly protect the umpire.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Watching HS ball in LA from 1997-2001, this was common for the JV game. Most schools in our area did not have lights, so Varsity games were played at 3:30 or 4:00, with JV getting in 2-3 innings before dark. One ump stayed and almost always called from behind pitcher. Experienced pitchers hated it.
Old Mon Jun 26, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I've called from there a couple of times - both when I was asked to work and didn't have my equipment with me, and both with girls that could throw hard enough that I didn't feel safe back there without my equipment. I called a couple of 8U tourney games from there once quite a while back, but didn't like it and decided to go back behind the plate.