The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   safety bag and fair or foulball situation (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/26818-safety-bag-fair-foulball-situation.html)

thunt Wed May 31, 2006 01:35pm

safety bag and fair or foulball situation

We just had a game last night and a player's ball lined straight over the pink safety bag on first base, not the regular first base bag, which I assumed then it was a foul ball. The ump informed me that this year at his clinic 2006 they told him it is now in fair play territory. He let the fielder play the ball as fair and she stepped on one and then he proceeded to tell the batter she was out. I am inclined not to believe him. What is the correct answer?

Skahtboi Wed May 31, 2006 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunt
We just had a game last night and a player's ball lined straight over the pink safety bag on first base, not the regular first base bag, which I assumed then it was a fowl ball. The ump informed me that this year at his clinic 2006 they told him it is now in fair play territory. He let the fielder play the ball as fair and she stepped on one and then he proceeded to tell the batter she was out. I am inclined not to believe him. What is the correct answer?

I don't know if it is a "fowl" ball, but it was certainly a foul ball if it bounded by first base in foul (over the colored portion of the base) territory. The umpire was right about what clinics are teaching, just not in regard to which situation. The entire base is considered in fair territory once the runner has intially gained first base. In other words, the runner can run through the bag on the colored portion of the base, and return to the colored portion and be considered to be on base. Previously she had to return to the white side only.

tcblue13 Wed May 31, 2006 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I don't know if it is a "fowl" ball, but it was certainly a foul ball

For some reason Randy Johnson comes to mind.:D

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 31, 2006 04:24pm

Quote:

I don't know if it is a "fowl" ball, but it was certainly a foul ball if it bounded by first base in foul (over the colored portion of the base) territory. The umpire was right about what clinics are teaching, just not in regard to which situation. The entire base is considered in fair territory once the runner has intially gained first base. In other words, the runner can run through the bag on the colored portion of the base, and return to the colored portion and be considered to be on base. Previously she had to return to the white side only.

Clarification: The double base is NEVER considered completely within fair territory. The colored portion will always be in foul territory.

The only change is that a RUNNER may use either portion to satisfy the rules which demand the runner contact the base.

rodan55 Thu Jun 01, 2006 09:59am

It becomes 1 big bag. The defense can use any part, like when they try to double up/appeal a runner for leaving early.

CecilOne Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:17am

The double base only applies to a BR reaching 1st. Other than that, it does not exist. The defense may use the safety/foul side only when the throw or play comes from that side attempting to put out a BR.

Dakota Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne
The double base only applies to a BR reaching 1st. Other than that, it does not exist. ...

That used to be true, but ASA changed the rule this year so coaches and players will have one less thing they have to actually know about the game (JMO). It is now one big base after the BR reaches 1st. However, the orange part is still in foul territory for fair/foul call purposes.

Skahtboi Fri Jun 02, 2006 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Clarification: The double base is NEVER considered completely within fair territory. The colored portion will always be in foul territory.

The only change is that a RUNNER may use either portion to satisfy the rules which demand the runner contact the base.

What I meant, though not what I said. Thanks for the correction. I was typing that while I was sitting in an education seminar.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jun 02, 2006 08:33pm

Quote:

What I meant, though not what I said. Thanks for the correction. I was typing that while I was sitting in an education seminar.

Please, you expect us to believe there are education seminars in Texas?

What are they teaching, how to dig a moat and fill it with 'gators?

Antonella Mon Jun 05, 2006 07:24am

Do we have an out...

...if the runner is standing only on the foul (coloured) portion of the double base (yes: ball in the circle, in possession of the pitcher, leaving the pitcher's hand, attempting to advance, etc. etc.).

You said 'NO' according a NEW Asa rule. Did I understand it right?

Thanks in advance.

Ciao

JEL Mon Jun 05, 2006 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonella
...if the runner is standing only on the foul (coloured) portion of the double base (yes: ball in the circle, in possession of the pitcher, leaving the pitcher's hand, attempting to advance, etc. etc.).

You said 'NO' according a NEW Asa rule. Did I understand it right?

Thanks in advance.

Ciao

Antonella,

Yes the rule was re-written for 2006. The easiest way to explain the changes are this;
The batter runner and fielder still have to use the bases as they always have on the initial run to first. After that;

Prior to 2006, the orange (saftey base) would "disappear";
In 2006, the orange base would now "turn white"

I still vote to get rid of it altogether!

Skahtboi Mon Jun 05, 2006 03:33pm

Quote:

Please, you expect us to believe there are education seminars in Texas?

Sure. Someone has to teach the kids of all those northern refugees.

Quote:

What are they teaching, how to dig a moat and fill it with 'gators?

For the past couple of years, a moat with water in it would be nice. Heck...we are so far in a drought that it ain't funny.