The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 21, 2001, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question

As far as pitching goes, how many umps call illegal pitches if the pitcher has a small infraction while pitching but in your estimation she isn't gaining an advantage? Many girls while standing on the rubber will move the ball from glove to hand or hand to glove and I don't feel like she is gaining any advantage, but technically this is an illegal pitch, right? Any thoughts?
Old Sat Jul 21, 2001, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Warn the first time, then call it.

Bob
Old Sat Jul 21, 2001, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
As far as pitching goes, how many umps call illegal pitches if the pitcher has a small infraction while pitching but in your estimation she isn't gaining an advantage? Many girls while standing on the rubber will move the ball from glove to hand or hand to glove and I don't feel like she is gaining any advantage, but technically this is an illegal pitch, right? Any thoughts?
JMHO, No advantage gained and no one hollering "thats
illegal, Blue", then I got nothing. However, I might
walk by coach and advise him of the infraction and to
have pitcher work on it at practice, because all *blues*
will not see this the same way.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I never try to bring attention to minor pitching infractions. True, by book you should call these, but again if there is no advantage then let it go, and get the hard ones correct.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen this with a young (12U) rec league pitcher. She was apparently just trying to settle her nerves, etc. There were no complaints, and since this was a rec league game, I just gave some "friendly advice" the coach between innings that it is illegal. I suggested he talk with his pitcher, since if she advances umpires WILL call it. I also tell him that she can do whatever she wants BEFORE stepping on the plate, and that even then, she can do almost anything she wants with her hands except bring them together. I tried to give him something to tell his pitcher to do instead that will be legal.

I haven't had to deal with the activity continuing following the advice. I intentionally did not give an official warning, since it was young rec ball, just to leave open further options besides calling illegal pitches.

If I saw this with higher level play, I would, as bluezebra said, warn once & then call it.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2001, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

During rec league and rec tournaments during the 1st half of the season.......we are directed to instruct......talk to the pitcher and coach about the ticky-tack infractions.

The 2nd half.........we warn once, then enforce. After regular season........we call them all.

NEVER ignore an IP or Technical infraction on a pitcher. If these things get ignored during the regular season.......during post season we get to hear the ......"Awwwwwww C'mon.........no-one called that all season!"

I ALWAYS inform both the pitcher and coach when they committed an illegal act.......according to our rec ball instructions..........

Ignoring it is asking for trouble.

Joel