The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Red face It always evens out in the end

I would like to hear some horror stories of long and/or painful games to make me feel better. I worked a HS game last week, 1-0 in about 70 minutes (no, that is not the bad one). The next night, 14 innings, no tie breaker, and 3 hours. One pitcher threw rather hard and her catcher just wasn't quite of the same caliber. One off the foot and shin guard (money well spent), one off the left thigh/belly/left wrist, one off the right wrist, and, to top it off, a foul ball off the catcher's foot that came up, under my mask and hit me under the jaw. That one rattled my teeth a little, literally. Someone please ease my pain with something worse...
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Most likely not worse but here goes. 13-15 year old LL softball (Juniors)
1st game of season last year-90 degrees and sunny-game starts at 2pm-I am PU.
Both teams look OK during warm up but when game began-OH MY!
Each pitcher had trouble throwing strikes-many errors with balls that were hit. Coaches not very sure of the rules. Teams slow to enter and leave the field even with my prompting. I took pitches/foul balls off mask, chest pad, both shin pads, both insteps (thank you for plate shoes) and right wrist. High score for each team-full 7 innings-3 hours. WOW!
Anyway, concession stand workers provided me and my umpire partner plenty of water during the game (marathon).
Same level game next day with 2 different teams-low score-I was PU and did not get hit once with pitch/foul ball-7 innings-1 hour 20 min.
Things have a way of overall working out.
Sam
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Longest game: 3:45, 27 walks in one inning, one team would score 20 runs the other team would score 20 runs. In one inning bases loaded, the third base coach yells Hey blue! I look at this guy with a big grin pointing to his runner about 10ft from the bag. Dead ball runner is out! I was never so happy end a game.

Shortest game :56 seven innings 3-2 hustle from both teams, great coaches, great play from the girls.

Bugg
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue
...a foul ball off the catcher's foot that came up, under my mask and hit me under the jaw. That one rattled my teeth a little, literally...

No wonder they call you "blue"
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue
I would like to hear some horror stories of long and/or painful games to make me feel better. I worked a HS game last week, 1-0 in about 70 minutes (no, that is not the bad one). The next night, 14 innings, no tie breaker, and 3 hours. One pitcher threw rather hard and her catcher just wasn't quite of the same caliber. One off the foot and shin guard (money well spent), one off the left thigh/belly/left wrist, one off the right wrist, and, to top it off, a foul ball off the catcher's foot that came up, under my mask and hit me under the jaw. That one rattled my teeth a little, literally. Someone please ease my pain with something worse...
Here you go:
Last year - Doing Mens Slow Pitch. Catcher crouches behind plate starts to loose his balance as the pitcher is starting to deliver. Catcher hops and throws arms out to regain balance. Pitcher releases ball. Catchers elbow catches me square in the nether regions and I go down. Batter hits ball. Dont know what happened. Never saw the ball get hit or where it went. Fortunately there was no play that I needed to call as my kidneys were spasming during the play.
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

A friend of mine some years ago was PU in a tournament game at Cal State Fullerton that went 26 innings - no score.

Bob
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Longest this year:

I already posted about this game, but it bears repeating: JV game....about 35 degrees ...with a WIND....and snow flurries... 2 3/4 hrs to play 4 1/2 innings.....27-7... The term 'blue' has never had more significance....

Shortest so far was a 7th/8th grade game (called 'modified' here in NY), three GREAT pitchers....7 innings...3-0 in about 1:05...
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
On the painful side, got nicked on the shoulder blade (WITH protector on) by a foul ball about three days ago....felt fine for awhile..butafter a couple of hours it started stiffening up...tood a couple of 'IcyHot' patches to calm it down. And since there is no room on the shoulder blade, i am now the proud possesor of a black n blue that covers my entire bicep from where the broken blood vessel trickled down....
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Ok...I'll add my horror story.

JV girls game, early in the season, perhaps the first week of March. Darkness hits about 5:45 - 6:00 pm, game start time is 4:00 pm.

Neither team can pitch, hit, or catch...other than that, they're not bad!

The school AD shows up at the beginning of the game to pay us, then we don't see him for the rest of the game. The field is out on the far corner of the HS campus.

We get to the fourth inning, score is something like 10-8, almost all on walks and errors, this is painful! However, the sun is setting and I'm thinking we will need to suspend this game because of darkness soon. Just about this time, I notice a maintenance guy zooming out toward the field in a golf cart. He skids to a stop back behind the backstop, pulls the massive key ring off of his belt, opens a box on the pole and starts turning on lights!. I wanted to go over and choke the guy!

We got to the bottom of the sixth (about an hour later), visitors are ahead 16-12. Home team proceeds to score 14 runs before an out was made and wins on the mercy rule 26-16. Game time about three and a half hours.

Quickest I ever had was an 18u game in a weekend tournament, visiting team leadoff batter singled in the top of the first, was bunted to second and scored on another base hit. Pitchers took over the rest of the game, only had two or three other baserunners, final score 1-0 in seven innings, total time about 58 minutes.

The only bad part was that it was my first game in a 5 game day and not the last!