The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

When is she out on a failed tag up

Ok 1 out R1 on 2nd, R2 on 1st ball hit to right fielder, runners off with the pitch, ball caught by right fielder, R1 (F1 used to CR but coach used all subs that inning to get playing time) WAY off 2nd toward 3rd starts back to 2nd but fails to retouch, about 3 feet from it, as R2 is close to 2nd (she actually tagged up correctly) R1 goes to 3rd, they throw the ball into the infield and to 3rd where they tag R1 standing on 3rd, they then throw it to 2nd and touch the base she did not properly tag from. I ring the out.

I got to thinking should I have rung her when they touched her on 3rd, as I knew they were appealing her not tagging up, or was I correct in making them tag the base to get the out? All this was done live ball, I think they could have taken the ball to the pitcher and then appealed it verbally as a dead ball appeal, is that correct too?
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

She would be out as soon as you recognize the appeal. If you know the tag is an appeal of leaving early, call the out then.

Yes, they could have requested TIME, and when granted, made the dead ball appeal. Since the runner had stopped on 3B, she would not be allowed to return during the dead ball. For a dead ball appeal, they would not need to do anything in particular with the ball before or after requesting TIME. The player making the appeal does not need to have possession of the ball.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Since the runner had stopped on 3B, she would not be allowed to return during the dead ball.
Why not?????
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, we generally don't allow runners to run bases during a dead ball.

Do you?
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Why not?????
I meant once TIME was called.