The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Obstructed Runner (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/26485-obstructed-runner.html)

blueump Wed May 10, 2006 11:28am

Obstructed Runner

Had a FED game last weekend where a runner was obstructed as she rounded first base heading for second. I called the delayed dead ball obstruction, and then had the defense attempt to thow the girl out at second.

I made the delayed db signal, and verbalized obstruction. If the defense actually throws her out at second, do I call her out first, then award the base, or do I simply award her the base by calling her safe?

Seems pretty akward to do it the first way, but if somebody didn't hear me or see my delayed call, I could get a pretty boisterous argument about the "safe" call.

What's the proper mechanic for this situation?

LMan Wed May 10, 2006 11:29am

No safe/out call. After the tag at 2B (or when playing action ends, if different), kill the play (call time), and award the base.

You'll prolly get an argument anyway. What coach sees and understands a delayed OBS call in the middle of playing action? :D

Skahtboi Wed May 10, 2006 12:07pm

Lman is correct. Upon the put out, call time, verbally announce OBS again and any awards that the runner will be getting, whether it is returning to the previous base, awarding the base on which the out occurred, or, if you felt at the time of OBS the runner could have made 3rd had the OBS not occurred, then that is where you would award her.

Dakota Wed May 10, 2006 12:34pm

I call DEAD BALL, not TIME. Same effect.

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 10, 2006 01:42pm

You only call the runner safe if s/he reaches the base to which s/he was protected.

Stevetheump Sun Jan 17, 2010 08:21pm

Obstructed runner.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueump (Post 310360)
Had a FED game last weekend where a runner was obstructed as she rounded first base heading for second. I called the delayed dead ball obstruction, and then had the defense attempt to thow the girl out at second.

I made the delayed db signal, and verbalized obstruction. If the defense actually throws her out at second, do I call her out first, then award the base, or do I simply award her the base by calling her safe?

Seems pretty akward to do it the first way, but if somebody didn't hear me or see my delayed call, I could get a pretty boisterous argument about the "safe" call.

What's the proper mechanic for this situation?

blueump - I can't give you the FED proper mechanics, but two years ago, I had a classic case of 'obstruction' in a girl's ASA SP game: Batter hits one in the gap between LF and LCF. The batter rounds 1st and plows in to the first baseman who is gawking towards the outfield. Here's what I did:
1. I pointed and verbalized "obstruction."
2. I gave the delayed dead ball signal.
3. I picked up the location of the ball (still rolling towards the fence).
4. In my mind, I judged she would have reached "3rd base" had she not been obstructed (now, I'm "old school," I keep the DDB signal up until the runner reaches the base I would have awarded).
5. She comes in to second, the ball comes to an infielder and the plate umpire calls "time."
6. I announce: "I have 'obstruction' on the first baseman. The runner is awarded 3rd base."
Well, the team in the field is losing horribly and the manager comes UNglued. He storms out of the dugout, comes up to me and TRIES to maintain that "(his) fielder was NOT in the runner's way." Sorry. He then tried to "protest" the game on the call. It was not allowed because 'obstruction' is a judgment call. He then proceeded to yell: "Well, you screwed up that call." That got him an ejection. Come to find out, he was not only the manager of the team, BUT THE LEAGUE PRESIDENT AS WELL.
Now, to his credit, he was much better behaved last season, esp during my games.