The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
On Deck Circles

We have a local ASA league up here on the tundra that is authorizing the on deck batter to use the defense's on deck circle to warm up. Knowing this is not allowed by the ASA book, where does the umpire's liability end?

I understand the rule book is written for championship play, and that locals are allowed to deviate from the book, but will that deviation also remove liability from the umpire?

We are currently contemplating our options, not wishing to put any players at risk, much less any umpires.

Thanks for you help.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
We have a local ASA league up here on the tundra that is authorizing the on deck batter to use the defense's on deck circle to warm up. Knowing this is not allowed by the ASA book, where does the umpire's liability end?

I understand the rule book is written for championship play, and that locals are allowed to deviate from the book, but will that deviation also remove liability from the umpire?

We are currently contemplating our options, not wishing to put any players at risk, much less any umpires.

Thanks for you help.
If the fences are that close to the batter that it is a danger, the ODB probably shouldn't be inside the fences.

You are covered, but as a matter of CYA, I would request, as an association, that the league administrators provide you with a copy of exceptions to the rules SIGNED by an officer/employee of the administration.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

That is a common occurence in this area; allowing on deck batters to stand in the opposite on deck circle to stay behind (the pull side) of the batter. There is a prevalent philosophy that (particularly) less skilled players will too often swing late, putting the on deck batter on the other side at greater risk.

I really don't see a safety risk in allowing it, if it is in their printed rules. The primary reason that ASA put the rule in that you had to stay in "your" on deck circle, I am told, is that teams were reportedly intentionally blocking the view of the catcher from getting the signals from their coaches. That, and the tradition.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
That, and the tradition.
It is a time waster! You are always waiting for the on-deck batter to travel to the other side, especially when the visiting team is at bat. Then you get the batter that forgot and is on the wrong side and you stop the game to allow her to cross over. Then a when a bunt or running slap fails and the batter moves from left to right box, you wait for the on-deck batter to change sides.

What I focus on is the location of the on-deck circles. These folks putting down the chalk place the circles way too close. I hae seen them inside 20'! In one of 4 games I am wiping out the on-deck circles and telling the coaches to take a bat and draw a new circle much further away. NFHS recommends at least 35' - even that can be close.

In many games I have seen a fouled ball rip through the cylinder of the wiped out circle. Too many on-deck batter do not pay enough attention, and had they been in the previous circle they possibly would have been hurt.

WMB
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
That is a common occurence in this area; allowing on deck batters to stand in the opposite on deck circle to stay behind (the pull side) of the batter. There is a prevalent philosophy that (particularly) less skilled players will too often swing late, putting the on deck batter on the other side at greater risk.

I really don't see a safety risk in allowing it, if it is in their printed rules. The primary reason that ASA put the rule in that you had to stay in "your" on deck circle, I am told, is that teams were reportedly intentionally blocking the view of the catcher from getting the signals from their coaches. That, and the tradition.
There is also a "taunting" issue which would probably occur in a heated game whether 10U or adults.

The "danger" perception occurs because mose fields do not meet the minimum HP-to-backstop/fence distance which puts the ODB too close. All the more reason to keep the player on the outside of the fence.