The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Question Nothing?

Since this is early in the season, (first game for the team that I am explaining the situation), runners on 1st & 2nd. Pitcher assumes correct pitching position, startes her delivery, stop her delivery after passing her leg in the forward motion. does not release the ball. what do we have?
If there were no runners on, same situation, what do we have?

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 08:20am
softball_junky

If FP you have an illegal pitch, ball on the batter and advance all runners one base. If SP you have an illegal pitch, ball on the batter and runners stay put. With no runners on in both, illegal pitch ball on the batter.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP 64
Since this is early in the season, (first game for the team that I am explaining the situation), runners on 1st & 2nd. Pitcher assumes correct pitching position, startes her delivery, stop her delivery after passing her leg in the forward motion. does not release the ball. what do we have?
If there were no runners on, same situation, what do we have?

----BALK---

Not a balk of course, but I bet some fans and coaches would holler that!

We have an illegal pitch. If the batter had hit the ball and both runners had advanced, there would be no penalty. Since that did'nt happen, the IP penalty is enforced (coaches option). Ball on batter, advance runners one base. No runners on....ball to the batter.

UNLESS... The pitcher is judged to have stopped due to an infraction as outlined in 6-10-A through E
Old Sat Apr 01, 2006, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I had a play kinda like that last Spring. This was a semi final game of an early varsity softball tournament. Bot of 7th. 1 out. tied game. runners on 3B and 2B.
Defensive coach is yelling for the outfield to move up. Outfield is not moving. Pitcher begins her pitch. The coach is still yelling. The pitcher must have realized that the fielders wern't where the coach wanted them and she stops her pitch. I was BU. Both myself and my partner call illegal pitch. This was ball four and the batter runs to first. Nobody else moves. I signal to the runner at third that she gets to go home. Game over. The losing coach knew what had happened and didn't say a word to us. The winning coach asked us why the runner got to go home.
As we are walking off the field, I see a lot of confused fans and parents and about 2 or 3 people that know the rules trying to explain to everybody else why the game was over.