The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OhioASADistrict1Commish
Talking

I have been a coach, umpire and tournament director. After many years from each position I have had the opportunity to watch many games.
I would like to know what the average number of coaches that you have ejected from a game over the course of a year, or 5 year period. Please state if this was high school, rec. ball, tournament games or something different.
If you have tossed a good number of coaches, what was the circumstances?
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OhioASADistrict1Commish
I have been a coach, umpire and tournament director. After many years from each position I have had the opportunity to watch many games.
I would like to know what the average number of coaches that you have ejected from a game over the course of a year, or 5 year period. Please state if this was high school, rec. ball, tournament games or something different.
If you have tossed a good number of coaches, what was the circumstances?
None. It is the coach's choice to leave, I just show them the door.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mike. One way or another, they've chosen to toss themselves. When they do that, I agree with them.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

1 in 8 years. He deserved it (without going into the circumstances). Were there others that may have been as deserving? Maybe, but generally the stern warning seems to work and if the coach is just being stupid, I let him look stupid. I do my best to ignore ignorance, unless it becomes personal or derogatory.

By the way for me we're talking Fed, ASA, NSA and various rec situations. Almost all are youth oriented.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

What is a 'stern warning'?

Thanks

Ciao
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I gotta agree with Mike and Steve on this one.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to OhioASADistrict1Commish
OK, I might just have to amend this to "how many coaches have tossed themselves" while you were the umpire? Or maybe, "how coaches have you shown the door to"?
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Antonella
What is a 'stern warning'?

Thanks

Ciao
That's when you send the coach to the bow of the ship!

Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I'll only answer for FP, 19 years. One assistant in HS was DQ, none in college. In ASA and PONY, I remember three coaches (one a head coach) whom I informed that they had been ejected, all lower age teams. One ASA coach was for a physical attack, ende up in court, fined and banned from coaching in that State.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

In my years of umpiring, in HS ball I have benched one assistant, and even then his head coach was wanting him benched to teach him a lesson. In college, 0. In tournaments and rec leagues, I can recall 6.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

One ASA coach was for a physical attack, ended up in court, fined and banned from coaching in that State.

Way to go. I wish that was the rule and not the exception. What state?

Did the guy (oops, or gal) actually initiate an attack?
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

College, none. (They know how, when and where to discuss) High School, none. ( most know the rules) Travel ball: Pony, none. (experienced) NSA, 3. (some knuckleheads) ASA, 6,(all in one tournament, two diffrent teams) Community,6 (two grandparents for swearing at me in the presence of the players, four coaches...same team
My pregame with head coaches: don't argue judegment calls, if it's a rule problem, we'll discuss it and get it right, and keep you assistant coaches under control
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Proud to say none

I can only speak to FP. I have both umpired and coached.
I have never allowed any coach enough rope to hang him/herself.
In NFHS, I have restricted an overly excited coach or 2 to the bench.
No college coach has ever crossed the line from rules discussions to a personal attack.
Summer coaches can be knuckleheads. However, I haven't ejected any.

Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

No offense meant here, but I don't think there should be any pride involved in saying none, just as there shouldn't be for saying 500. Game management is one thing, but if you're considering yourself "proud to say none", I suspect you've not done so when it was appropriate, and made some other umpire's life worse.

I've presided over the ejection of 11 coaches - about 1 per year.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

My 2 cents

1 cent for each year I have been umpiring.

I know that I have just started out in all this stuff but I am now laying the groundwork for how i am going to deal with coaches.

I strongly agree with mcrowder on this. We, the officials let too much go. In the softball arena I haven't seen many coaches out of control but lots and lots of chirping. Speaking NFHS we are expected to act professional and appropriate but the coaches act anyway they seem fit. In the back of the Rulebook there is a code of ethics and i believe it is our job to make sure the coaches adhere to it. Not beg,badger,reason, or plead with them to act like adults and role models.

I do several sports and the coaches act as badly as the officials let them. Obviously BB is the worse but i just had a game where i had a coach that was acting in a manner that needed to be addressed. I didn't know what to do so I talked to her. If i could have i would have issued a Technical foul.

I started a SItch specific thread and my perception was I hould just leave the coaches. Now I am thinking but they are breaking the rules on conduct
and I want to address it in a manner that is logical and rules-based. Not pleading, begging, cajoling or soothing their little ruffled feathers cause a call didn"t go their way.

Rant Off