The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Slung the bat

Had a batter who during the hitting of the softball in a NFHS game, slung the bat to where the bat went behind the catcher and hit the fence quite hard. The bat did not slip from her hand. I warned the coach and said, that for safety reasons, the next batter who does this will be restricted to the bench. Two innings later, same batter does the same thing again, with the bat landing in about the same spot next to the fence, as she safely reaches 1st base.

I restricted this person to the bench and a substitute replaced her at 1st base. I have not found any rule (NCAA, NFHS, or ASA), covering slinging of the bat in foul territory, thus supporting my call. Was this the proper call? Please mention the supporting rule I should have used.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

NFHS 3-6-2.

The PENALTY is printed after 3-6-12.

Although from your description, I may have applied 3-6-18, which would have resulted in ejection (especially the second time).
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Tom,
Thank-you, I assume the substitution at 1st base was proper.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
Tom,
Thank-you, I assume the substitution at 1st base was proper.
Substitution was proper. Penalty does not include an out.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
Substitution was proper. Penalty does not include an out.
In USSSA coach pitch throwing a bat results in a team warning and the next player that throws a bat is called out, with no one advancing on the play. It's a complete judgment call as to what constitutes a thrown bat. I had to use that judgment a few times last year, and only once did the second offense come where I rules an out, and I had no arguments from any coaches. I don't judge a bat to have been thrown, unless it is pretty obvious and could have put someone in harms way. ..I did have one lady tell me she thinks I should call it more often. I told her I don't think just tossing the bat down towards foul territory, as they are starting towards first base, is what is meant by throwing the bat. In a nice way I told her if she wants to make judement calls she should seek an umpire job. ...

Nothin' like fun at the ole' ball park!
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
Had a batter who during the hitting of the softball in a NFHS game, slung the bat to where the bat went behind the catcher and hit the fence quite hard. The bat did not slip from her hand. I warned the coach and said, that for safety reasons, the next batter who does this will be restricted to the bench. Two innings later, same batter does the same thing again, with the bat landing in about the same spot next to the fence, as she safely reaches 1st base.

I restricted this person to the bench and a substitute replaced her at 1st base. I have not found any rule (NCAA, NFHS, or ASA), covering slinging of the bat in foul territory, thus supporting my call. Was this the proper call? Please mention the supporting rule I should have used.
And you will not find anything in ASA concerning what you have described.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
In USSSA coach pitch throwing a bat results in a team warning and the next player that throws a bat is called out, with no one advancing on the play. It's a complete judgment call as to what constitutes a thrown bat. I had to use that judgment a few times last year, and only once did the second offense come where I rules an out, and I had no arguments from any coaches. I don't judge a bat to have been thrown, unless it is pretty obvious and could have put someone in harms way. ..I did have one lady tell me she thinks I should call it more often. I told her I don't think just tossing the bat down towards foul territory, as they are starting towards first base, is what is meant by throwing the bat. In a nice way I told her if she wants to make judement calls she should seek an umpire job. ...

Nothin' like fun at the ole' ball park!
Please tell me the rule that supports this in the rule book. I believe you are confusing a local rule with a USSSA rule.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

There is no such USSSA rule regarding this... although umpires always want to invent one.
Old Mon Mar 27, 2006, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Please tell me the rule that supports this in the rule book. I believe you are confusing a local rule with a USSSA rule.
Hey Scott,

Last year all umpires and coaches were given a list of rules in a meeting prior to the start of the season. Concerning bat throwing it was a judgment call on the part of he umpires. Yes, it was a Local Rule... My bad! I assumed since it was listed with other rules that were in the USSSA rules that it also came from the rule book. This Friday we are having a meeting with coaches and umpires to go over the rules and changes to rules for this year. ...Al
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
NFHS 3-6-2.

The PENALTY is printed after 3-6-12.

Although from your description, I may have applied 3-6-18, which would have resulted in ejection (especially the second time).
You must be looking at an old rule book.
2006 NFHS 3-6-3
A team member shall not carelessly throw a bat.
PENALTY
The umpire shall issue a team warning to the coach of the team involved and the next offender on that team shall be restricted to the dugout/bench for the remainder of the game.

NFHS 3-6-16
Team personnel shall not deliberately throw bats, helmets or any other piece of equipment.
PENALTY
The umpire shall eject the offender from the game, unless the offense is judged to be of a minor nature. If minor, the umpire may warn the offender and eject if the offense is repeated.

CASE BOOK PLAY 3.6.16 Situation B
After hitting a line drive toward F5, B1 throws her bat and it strikes the catcher or umpire. the act was judged to be (a) intentional, or (b) unintentional. RULING: In (a), the offender will be ejected from the game. If B1's fair hit ball is a base hit, B! will be replaced with a substitute runner. In (b), the umpire will warn the team for a carelessly thrown bat, and if the act is repeated, any subsequent offenders on that team will be restricted to the bench/dugout for the remainder of the game.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

throwing bat

Even though the asa rules says slipping or throwing in anger, I would have warned her, next time she is ejected. To me it would be a safety issue.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpiregal65
Even though the asa rules says slipping or throwing in anger, I would have warned her, next time she is ejected. To me it would be a safety issue.
What rule, from the book, are you going to use to support this action?

Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

slung the bat

I would use unsportsman like behavior. She was warned once.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Unsportsmanlike behavior? Show me the rule you will point to when you threaten my best player with ejection for inadvertently throwing a bat. Show me the rule you will point to when she is ejected for accidentally doing it a 2nd time. This is a protest you will lose (assuming your local league isn't making up rules on this).
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpiregal65
I would use unsportsman like behavior. She was warned once.
Again....what rule, from the book, are you going to use to support this action?