The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Short editorial on this subject.

There use to be a philosophy of trying to "keep them in the game" when it came to players, coaches, managers, whomever.

I've seen umpires take this to heart and, unfortunately, take unbelievable personal abuse just to "keep them in the game."

The only problem is that as an umpire, your "integrity" is not worth "keeping them in the game." As an umpire, you have many more games to umpire. The last thing an umpire needs is to become a pin cushion, taking everything thrown at them. Taking "everything" blurs the line for others, not to mention a partner who isn't going to take some of the crap spewed by these folks.

IMO, "keeping them in the game" means allow the manager to defend his team and their play. Give the coaches their say. The questioning of a call or ruling is part of their job, allow them to do it. After all, there is always the possibility they may be correct.

When a discussion is over, walk away. Keep control of your emotions during any discussion and not allow it to escalate to an argument. An argument requires two people, don't be one of them. Even though it may be believed to be so, you are not the manager's opponent. S/he is in the other dugout.

That said, this should be taken based upon the lack of personal verbal attack or an attempt to openly question the integrity of you or your partner(s). Obviously, a physical attack toward anyone means you need to get rid of that individual.

Okay, it wasn't that short, sorry.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Mike,

hope you don't mind... I have to inform you I translated this and will use this as a learning tool.

Here you are how it 'sounds' in italian

"C'è in giro una certa filosofia del “provare a tenerli in campo” – e parliamo di giocatori, coach, ecc.
Ho visto arbitri prendere davvero a cuore la faccenda e, disgraziatamente, tollerare ogni sorta di abuso sul campo proprio per “provare a tenerli in campo”.

L’unico problema è che ai fini della nostra INTEGRITA’ di arbitri, non vale la pena “tenerli in campo”.
Siccome vogliamo continuare a fare gli arbitri, avremo molte altre partite da fare. E l’ultima cosa che ci serve è diventare un portaspilli, un bersaglio da freccette.
Sopportare di tutto complica la vita agli arbitri che verranno, per non dire quella del collega che abbiamo in campo.
Secondo me, “provare a tenerli in campo” significa lasciare che il manager difenda la sua squadra e il suo gioco. Dare la possibilità ai coach di dire la loro. Contestare una chiamata o una regola è parte del loro lavoro, è doveroso lasciarglielo fare. In fondo c'è sempre la possibilità che abbiano ragione.
Quando una discussione è finita, allontanatevi. Tenete sotto controllo le vostre emozioni durante qualunque tipo di confronto e non lasciate che degeneri in una litigata. Litigare richiede almeno due persone, non siate una di queste. Anche se potrebbe sembrare, non siamo noi gli avversari di un coach. Questo/questa sta nell’altro dugout.
Tutto questo si intende valido IN ASSENZA di un attacco verbale diretto alla nostra PERSONA o in assenza di qualunque cosa detta che apertamente metta in dubbio l’imparzialità  (l’integrità ) nostra o del nostro partner. Ovviamente un attacco di tipo fisico sta a significare che dobbiamo sbarazzarci di quell’individuo."

Ciao e grazie

Last edited by Antonella; Thu Mar 23, 2006 at 03:09am.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Antonella
Mike,

hope you don't mind... I have to inform you I translated this and will use this as a learning tool.

"C’è in giro una certa filosofia del “provare a tenerli in campo” – e parliamo di giocatori, coach, ecc.
Ho visto arbitri prendere davvero a cuore la faccenda e, disgraziatamente, tollerare ogni sorta di abuso sul campo proprio per “provare a tenerli in campo”.

L’unico problema è che ai fini della nostra INTEGRITA’ di arbitri, non vale la pena “tenerli in campo”.
Siccome vogliamo continuare a fare gli arbitri, avremo molte altre partite da fare. E l’ultima cosa che ci serve è diventare un portaspilli, un bersaglio da freccette.
Sopportare di tutto complica la vita agli arbitri che verranno, per non dire quella del collega che abbiamo in campo.

Secondo me, “provare a tenerli in campo” significa lasciare che il manager difenda la sua squadra e il suo gioco. Dare la possibilitÃ* ai coach di dire la loro. Contestare una chiamata o una regola è parte del loro lavoro, è doveroso lasciarglielo fare. In fondo c’è sempre la possibilitÃ* che abbiano ragione.
Quando una discussione è finita, allontanatevi. Tenete sotto controllo le vostre emozioni durante qualunque tipo di confronto e non lasciate che degeneri in una litigata. Litigare richiede almeno due persone, non siate una di queste. Anche se potrebbe sembrare, non siamo noi gli avversari di un coach. Questo/questa sta nell’altro dugout.

Tutto questo si intende valido IN ASSENZA di un attacco verbale diretto alla nostra PERSONA o in assenza di qualunque cosa detta che apertamente metta in dubbio lÂ’imparzialitÃ* (lÂ’integritÃ*) nostra o del nostro partner. Ovviamente un attacco di tipo fisico sta a significare che dobbiamo sbarazzarci di quellÂ’individuo."

Ciao e grazie
Please feel free to use anything I post as you see fit.

I'll waive my usual fee
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Short editorial on this subject.

There use to be a philosophy of trying to "keep them in the game" when it came to players, coaches, managers, whomever.

I've seen umpires take this to heart and, unfortunately, take unbelievable personal abuse just to "keep them in the game."

The only problem is that as an umpire, your "integrity" is not worth "keeping them in the game." As an umpire, you have many more games to umpire. The last thing an umpire needs is to become a pin cushion, taking everything thrown at them. Taking "everything" blurs the line for others, not to mention a partner who isn't going to take some of the crap spewed by these folks.

IMO, "keeping them in the game" means allow the manager to defend his team and their play. Give the coaches their say. The questioning of a call or ruling is part of their job, allow them to do it. After all, there is always the possibility they may be correct.

When a discussion is over, walk away. Keep control of your emotions during any discussion and not allow it to escalate to an argument. An argument requires two people, don't be one of them. Even though it may be believed to be so, you are not the manager's opponent. S/he is in the other dugout.

That said, this should be taken based upon the lack of personal verbal attack or an attempt to openly question the integrity of you or your partner(s). Obviously, a physical attack toward anyone means you need to get rid of that individual.

Okay, it wasn't that short, sorry.
Mike,
Very well said on all counts.

(We may have to translate it into Okie and Texan for some...)
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

John said, "Mike,
Very well said on all counts.

(We may have to translate it into Okie and Texan for some...)"

Sounds pretty similar to some stuff I heard that was called a "Luau-ism".
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M

Must be that similar minds thing. I've never attended a clinic with Luau as an clinician. However, Luau and I have both attended the same clinics.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll waive my usual fee
For those of us that remember McGriff's....that fee is .02
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M

Must be that similar great minds thing. I've never attended a clinic with Luau as an clinician. However, Luau and I have both attended the same clinics.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

For those of us lucky enough to attend the NCAA clinic in Atlanta, one of the funniest aprts was Ed Crane's son translating for the 'southern umpire's' what Ed was saying. Because I am originally from the left coast I often find myself in need of a translater to tell me what our southern coaches really mean to say when they are talking to me.

Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonella
Mike,

"C’è in giro una certa filosofia del “provare a tenerli in campo” – e parliamo di giocatori, coach, ecc.

Secondo me, “provare a tenerli in campo” significa lasciare che il manager difenda la sua squadra e il suo gioco. Dare la possibilitÃ* ai coach di dire la loro. Contestare una chiamata o una regola è parte del loro lavoro, è doveroso lasciarglielo fare. In fondo c’è sempre la possibilitÃ* che abbiano ragione.

Tutto questo si intende valido IN ASSENZA di un attacco verbale diretto alla nostra PERSONA o in assenza di qualunque cosa detta che apertamente metta in dubbio lÂ’imparzialitÃ* (lÂ’integritÃ*) nostra o del nostro partner. Ovviamente un attacco di tipo fisico sta a significare che dobbiamo sbarazzarci di quellÂ’individuo."

Ciao e grazie
Thanks, but it's all Greek to me!
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Good job Mike....I will use it....

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.