The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 02:21am
Official Forum Member

Question

Hello, I am playing ASA softball for my varsity high school team. However, I need some help on some rule questions. Please help me ASAP. Thankyou!

1. While the tie breaking rule is in effect, the opposing team realizes that the wrong player is placed on second base. The team appeals to the umpire and the player is declared out.is this legal? yes or no?

2. If a team starts to play short handed, the number nine player in the lineup will be the postion for the short handed player and another player may bat for her when it is her turn to bat. yes or no?

3. If a batted ball leaves the park in fair territory and then lands on the ground in foul territory, is it a foul ball? yes or no?

4. If a batted ball hits a defensive player in fair territory, but goes over the fence in foul territory, is it a foul ball? yes or no?

5. If the batter bunts the ball and the ball then rolls against the bat in fair territory and then rolls foul is it a foul ball? yes or no?

6. If the batter bunts the ball and the ball then rolls against the bat in fair territory, the batter will declared out. yes or no?

7. R1 misses first base on a close play but passes the base before the throw arrives, the umpire rules the runner out because she missed the base. The offense protests because the defense needed to appeal the play and the umpire can not just rule the runner out without an appeal. Is the offense correct? yes or no?

8. Which positions can a courtesy runner be used for? (more than one may apply) pitcher, catcher, 1st base, 2nd base, 3rd base, left field, right field, and/or center field?

9. Can a courtesy runner be used for the DP when the DP is batting for the pitcher? yes or no?

10. With R1 at first base a batted ball hits R1 after the ball passes the 2nd baseman. Is the runner out? yes or no?

11. With R1 at first base a batted ball hits R1 before the ball passes the 2nd baseman. Is the runner out? yes or no?

12. R1 is on first, B1 hits a ground ball to the 2nd baseman. R1 runs in a direct lint to 2nd base but runs into the 2nd baseman while she is fielding the ball. The defense says R1 should be out. The offense says she should not be out because she was running in a direct line. Who is correct? offense or defense?

13. With runners on 1st and 2nd and stealing on the pitch, B1 hits a line drive to the 2nd baseman that the umpire rules was intentionally dropped. Do the runners get to advance to second and third? yes or no?

14. R1 is at 1st and stealing on the pitch. B1 swings at the pitch and misses but it hits her in the stomach. What is the ruling? R1 gets to go to 2nd, or R1 has to go back to 1st?

15. For question 14, would it be a ball or a strike to the batter?

16. If a spectator reaches on the field and interferes with a batted ball, what is the ruling? 3 bases, 2 bases, 1 base, or umpires judgement?

17. If a ball is caught in play and the player intentionally goes over the dead ball line to prevent the runners movement, what is the ruling? 3 bases, 2 bases, 1 base, or umpires judgement?

18. If a ball is caught in play and the players momentum carries her over the dead ball line what is the ruling? 3 bases, 2 bases, 1 base, or umpires judgement?

19. If a thrown ball goes out of play what is the ruling? 3 bases, 2 bases, 1 base, or umpires judgement?

20. If a fielder catches the batted ball with her cap what is the ruling? batter is out, all runners awarded three bases, all runners awarded two bases, all runners awarded one base?

21. With R1 on2nd and R2 on 1st, B1 hits a triple scoring R1 and R2. The R1 is told by her coach that she missed third base. She goes back to tag the base. The defense appeals saying that you can not go back after you score. The offense says that it is fine as long as she tags it before getting out. Whos right? offense or defense?

22. With a count of 3 balls and 2 strikes to the batter, the ball hits the ground is swung at and hit the batter. What is the ruling? strike out, base on balls, or foul ball?

23. Wuth a count of 3 balls and 2 strikes to the batter, the batter swings and it hits her on the hands, the ball rolls fair. What is the ruling? strike out, base on balls, foul ball, or fair ball and live?

24. With a runner on second base ball 4 is delivered to the batter. The runner on 2nd steals 3rd. The defense appeals saying that the runner must go back to 2nd becasue the ball is dead on ball4. The offense says it live. Whos right? defense or offense?

25. What is the max. # of warm up pitchs a pitcher may throw? 3, 5, 7, or 10?

26. If the game is tied after the time limit expires, or after 6 innings are played, who is the runner who startes at 2nd base to start the inning? coach's choice, the batter who made the last out in the previous innings, the batter that is scheduled to bat in the new extra inning?

27. When a time limit is in effect for a game when does each new inning start? as soon as the third out is recorded from the previous inning, when the first pitch is thrown, when the batter steps in the box, or when the pitcher begins her warm up pitches?

28. What is the time limit for games in our league? 45 min., 1 hr., 1 1/2 hrs., no limit?

29. What is the run ahead rule for our league after 5 innings? 5, 7, 8, or 9?

30. What is the run ahead run for our league after 3 innings? 5, 10, 15, or no limit?

31. Waht is the score for a forfeited game in our league? 1-0, 5-0, 6-0, or 7-0?

32. In an ASA regulation 7-inning game, what is the min. # of innings that need to be played in order for the game to be offical? 3, 4, 5, of 6?

33. With a runner on 2nd base, the batter hits a line drive to the right fielder that hits her on her head and she immediatlly drops to the ground. For safety reasons, the umpire immediatly calls a dead ball, stops play, and after attending to the injured player awards the runner on second home and the batter-runner 2nd. Is this legal? yes or no?

34. Can a team play short handed if a player is disqualified? yes or no?

35. Can a team play short handed if the player is ejected? yes or no?

36. Two bases were awarded because a ball was stuck in a bush which is in fair territory in center field. Is this situation a ground rule or a base rule?

37. When the over throw rule is put into effect because a ball crosses the dead ball line. Is this situation a ground rule or a book rule?

38. On a non-force out situation, the fielder touches the runner with an empty glove and the ball in her bare hand. Legal or illegal?

39. With the ball in the fielders bare hand, she touches the base with an empty glove on a force out. Legal or illegal?

40. Are pitchers and catchers considered to be infielders as it applies to the infield fly rule? yes or no?

41. The short stop runs as a courtesy runner for the pitcher. Does this play result in an illegal player, ineligible player, illegal re-entry, or unreported substitue?

42. When an umpire declares that a FAKE TAG was made, what is the award? 1 base, 2bases, umpires decision, or fielder is ejected?

43. A batted ball hits a player down the right field line in fair territory and then goes over the fence in foul territory. Fair or foul ball?

44. A batted ball hits a defensive player and then goes foul in front of third base. Fair or foul ball?

45. A batted ball hits a runner in fair territory and then goes foul. Fair or foul ball?

46. What is the penalty for using the CROW HOP? no pitch, illegal pitch- a ball is declared on the batter and all runners advance one base, illegal pitch-all runners advance one base, batter is awarded first base?

47. If the fielder crosses the dead ball line after making a catch and the umpire feels she did it intentionally to stop play, how many bases would be awarded? 1, 2, 3, or as many as the umpire feels the runners would have gotten if the fielder did not cross the line?

48. If you catch a fly ball and your momentum carries you across the dead ball line, how many bases would be awarded to the runners? 1, 2, 3, or as many as the umpire feels the runners would have gotten if the fielder did not cross the line?

Thank you for your help. By the way this is not for any test it is 48 questions out of the 333 questions, that I got this season, that I could not figure out. Please help ASAP!!

Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Maybe a little help

1. The out is legal unless the player supposed to be on 2nd is absent and the player actually on 2nd comes directly before the correct player in the lineup.

2. An out will be taken for the missing player.

3. Fair ball.

4. Fair ball.

5. If the Ump determines it was not intentional, the ball is live and in play. If it rolls into foul territory before passing 1st or 3rd base, the ball is foul.

6. If the Ump determines it was not intentional, the ball is live and in play. The batter is not out.

7. No.

8. A courtesy runner may be used for any player.

9. Yes.

10. No, unless the ball hitting the runner obstructed another defensive player from making a play.

11. Yes, unless the Ump determines no play could have been made.

12. Defense is correct, R1 is out.

13. The ball is dead and each runner must return to the last base touched before the pitch.

14. Dead ball, runner returned to 1st.

15. Strike.

16. The ball is dead at the moment of interference. Runners are awarded or returned to which ever base they are closest to at the time.

17. Two bases, governed from each runner's location at the point the defensive player went over the line.

18. One base, governed from each runner's location at the point the defensive player went over the line.

19. Two bases, governed from each runner's location at the time the ball left the throwers hand.

20. Three bases from the pitch.

21. She is out if the Ump declares she missed the base because she cannot go back to tag the missed base because the runner following her has scored.

22. Illegal pitch, nullified by missed swing.

23. Batter is out.

24. Live pitch, legal steal.

25. No more than 3.

26. Batter who made last out.

27. First pitch

28-31. I don't know what league you are in...

32. 3

33. yes.

34. yes.

35. no.

36. ground rule

37. book rule

38. Illegal, no tag.

39. Legal; contacts the base while holding the ball.

40. yes

41. no

42. Umpire's decision

43. Fair

44. fair

45. Fair

46. Illegal pitch

47. 2

48. 1
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Probably would have been better off telling him/her where to look rather than just giving the answers away..sounds like they need to learn the game a little better
Old Sun Mar 12, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
1. No, the player is not declared out.
ASA rulebook - POE#54 - "It is the responsibility of the umpire and scorekeeper to notify the teams involved as to what player starts at second base. If the wrong player is placed on the base and it is brought to the umpire's attention, there is no penalty. Correct the error and place the correct person on the base. This should occur whether a pitch has been thrown, or if the runner has advanced a base."
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I have been playing co-ed baseball for eight years and girls softball for 4 years. I know my game but when it gets down to specific callings of the umpires I am alittle un-educated. This is the first time I have ever been told that I have to do a 333 question packet on rules, so I think that would allow me to asks some questions. But thanks for the help!!!
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by softball25
Actually, I have been playing co-ed baseball for eight years and girls softball for 4 years. I know my game but when it gets down to specific callings of the umpires I am alittle un-educated. This is the first time I have ever been told that I have to do a 333 question packet on rules, so I think that would allow me to asks some questions. But thanks for the help!!!
Who the hell gave you a 333 question packet on rules? Umpires don't do that much.

BTW, you cannot learn this stuff by reading boards and playing the game. There is much more to it than that.

Good luck.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I guarantee you would learn 10 times more from getting the book out and looking up the answers than you will from just having them answered here. I know that's true when UMPIRES do their test. You learn more from reading the text surrounding the answer to your question and achieving context than you EVER will from just the question itself.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Softball25:

Hopefully, whoever gave you the questions, also gave you a book to look at.

The umpire exam is an open-book test.

Are you a player or a coach?
Old Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Question

Where and why do high school teams play ASA softball?

Not to mention "co-ed baseball for eight years and girls softball for 4 years" means starting about age 8, when no one is taught the rules.

Some of these look too easy, supporting the comment about learning the text surrounding the specific rule.

[Edited by CecilOne on Mar 13th, 2006 at 03:39 PM]
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

I am in a DoDea school overseas due to the military and here we play ASA high school softball (fast pitch). And when I played co-ed baseball at age 8 we were taught the rules and not just the extreme basics either. I had a coach that really wanted to win.
This season, my coach gave us all the 333 rules packet and told us that you do not have to be an awesome player but we at least need to know all the rules. He gave us a cd that contained a word document which was basically the rules booklet. However, my cd did not work and you can not access the ASA rules booklet online you have to go get a copy. And because I am overseas the nearest ASA "headcourters" could be in Japan for all I know. And you may say that some of these questions look easy but I am only a junior in high school. And you may want to take into consideration that these were the only questions out of the 333 question packet that I did not get. I had really researched online all these questions and I got a variety of answers. That is the main reason I posted the questions here. I wanted to see want you all thought. Please believe me I did not just take the answers you gave. I looked at alot of sources and tryed to figure out which was the most convincing.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2006, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

If you will send me your mailing address, I will send you an ASA rule book. Respond to [email protected].