The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

I am a second year Fed ump and my main problem is being too quick on the trigger.

Last Tuesday in a game I was the BU in B pos. On a ground ball to F5 I called the BR out at fist when the throw beat the runner. The only problem was that F3 never controlled the ball and I changed the call to safe which brought the Def coach out of the dugout. I just explained that F3 never had control of the ball and I called the out prematurely. He sneered and walked back to the bench.

Yesterday, Thursday, on a throw from F2 to F6 on a stolen base I called an out because the tag and the throw were there. Then I saw the ball on the ground. This time I loudly proclaimed BALL ON GROUND, BALL ON GROUND, RUNNER IS SAFE, selling the changed call. Not a peep from the defense.

Earlier this year when I was PU, I called a ball as the ball was hitting the mitt and as I called it, the batter swung. I changed the call from ball 3 to strike 2. There was no argument but the catcher and batter both appeared to be confused.

I know that I need to slow down and need some suggestions to help.
Thanks

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcblue13
I am a second year Fed ump and my main problem is being too quick on the trigger.

Last Tuesday in a game I was the BU in B pos. On a ground ball to F5 I called the BR out at fist when the throw beat the runner. The only problem was that F3 never controlled the ball and I changed the call to safe which brought the Def coach out of the dugout. I just explained that F3 never had control of the ball and I called the out prematurely. He sneered and walked back to the bench.

Yesterday, Thursday, on a throw from F2 to F6 on a stolen base I called an out because the tag and the throw were there. Then I saw the ball on the ground. This time I loudly proclaimed BALL ON GROUND, BALL ON GROUND, RUNNER IS SAFE, selling the changed call. Not a peep from the defense.

Earlier this year when I was PU, I called a ball as the ball was hitting the mitt and as I called it, the batter swung. I changed the call from ball 3 to strike 2. There was no argument but the catcher and batter both appeared to be confused.

I know that I need to slow down and need some suggestions to help.
Thanks
Revert to the ASA mechanic of placing you left hand on your stomach prior to making the call.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Prior to making a call at a base I like to point at the play and then make the call. When working one man that isnt always possible on the front end of a double play, but taking the time to point and make sure you are set allows you time to make sure the entire play has completed.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Suggestion: Let the play/pitch conclude. I was taught to simply: See the play/pitch; Process it; Call it. Take your time.
Do not be in a hurry although try not to be "S L O W".
Of course, "sell the call" when necessary.
Sam
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baldgriff
Prior to making a call at a base I like to point at the play and then make the call. When working one man that isnt always possible on the front end of a double play, but taking the time to point and make sure you are set allows you time to make sure the entire play has completed.
The only problem with that mechanic is that NUS and othershave tried to get umpires away from pointing UNLESS it is something that has to do with the call, such as pointing to the ball on the ground on an otherwise close play (stealing, etc., somewhere where you have a tag and it's not obvious to all the ball is on the ground).

that being said, IMHO the point is how I "grew up" and helped with timing.

I've said before and I will say again, what we do in Seattle has paid big dividends and is a fun thing. I, Streamdoc and SRW have paid into the pizza fund. What happens is simple" You make a double call, it costs $1. The dollars go into the "pizza fund." It keeps it light but also reinforces the fact that timing is everything.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

TC,
Recognizing the problem is going a long ways toward fixing it. Beyond that, there's not much to say that hasn't been said. Moving the left hand to your belly, coming upright from a set position - both are tools that somebody came up with to slow down. Use them. Didn't "somebody" once say "It's nuthin til I call it." That guy had umpired a while.

Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

I work with a few "experienced" umpires
who are still calling pitches before it is in the
catcher's mitt and making out/safe calls all too
quickly on the bases--- they are anticipating !!
--and sadly it seems they will never learn otherwise !
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones
I've said before and I will say again, what we do in Seattle has paid big dividends and is a fun thing. I, Streamdoc and SRW have paid into the pizza fund. What happens is simple" You make a double call, it costs $1. The dollars go into the "pizza fund." It keeps it light but also reinforces the fact that timing is everything.
We never got our pizza last year! I demand pepperoni!
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
Our UIC recommends using the "point" when trying to slow down your calls, and then after a set period of time, removing the physical point from your mechanics and just continue to "mentally point" at the play. Even veteran umpires are guilty of calling a play too quick at times. It takes a good umpire to self-evaluate and initiate whatever action needed to fix the problem. Good job, tcblue.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Timing, timing, timing. Read first, then react.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SWFLguy
I work with a few "experienced" umpires
who are still calling pitches before it is in the
catcher's mitt and making out/safe calls all too
quickly on the bases--- they are anticipating !!
--and sadly it seems they will never learn otherwise !
Anticipate the play, do not anticipate the call!
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quick on the trigger

tcblue,

Maybe this will help:

Making the Call

American League umpire Bill Kinnamon and one of the first instructors professional Umpire Development System put it simply:
"The most important thing in calling plays on the bases is angle, not distance. If you are thirty feet away with the right angle, you will get the play; if you are ten feet away with the improper angle, you will miss it. .... Sometimes you must move away from the ball to get the proper angle. That's why mechanics, position is so very important." (Gerlach, 1994, pp.253-254)

Based on Kinnamon's examples and experience, arranged in priority, here are the ingredients needed to make each call while minimizing errors:

Angle is of primary importance. At all times strive to attain a 90 degree angle to the play that is happening. Always move to arrive at the best possible viewing angle.
Distance is always secondary. 10 to 15 feet from every play would be perfect but often you can be too close to see the entire play. Beginning umpires often move directly towards the base where the play is about to take place. In doing so the limit both their angle and their distance, and increase their chances of error.
Timing must be consistent in a game. Proper timing is not an artificial creation. Proper timing is the result of umpiring the entire play, and making the signal only after you have ascertained the play has truly ended. That simple throw over to first is not an out until you have seen two things: 1. The foot of the runner arriving after the ball, and 2. The ball held firmly and securely in the glove. Now signal your decision as quickly as possible. If you umpire the complete play, you will never rush your calls.
Selling the call is a part of umpiring that brings the crowd on to your side. The woo'ers can't say you missed the tag if you signalled the tag was high after you gave the safe sign. They know you are claiming the fielder did not have possession when you are juggling with your hands after the safe call. That little bit of confidence and showmanship can go a long way towards you taking charge of the diamond.
But not too much. The umpire is not the game's color commentator. The umpire is the "arbiter" who must make delicate calls to assure the teams remain equals. A little style and show skills are welcome but excessive displays are often frowned upon. Substance, content and form: the same elements that make up a good essay also make a quality umpire.

Again to quote Kinnamon:
"If you anticipate a call or if you make up your mind too quickly, you are going to kick some. If the first baseman drops the ball or even juggles it momentarily, you've got a completely different decision. Umpires have been seen with their hands in the air signalling a decision only to reverse it. That is bad timing. You must wait until a play situation is completed before making your decision."

Practice making calls off the field. The time to perfect your timing and moves is not in a game situation. Visualize and respond. Move, pivot, set, make the call. Run the hook and lead the imaginary runner to second base, set, make the call. A pitch out; gain an angle but not too close, set , make the call. Do it over and over until it feels part of your natural signs and signals vocabulary. Your game can only improve.

Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Here is a technique that I was taught that helped me slow down.

No runners on - routine plays at first base that everybody in the park knows the runner is out. Get set, see the catch and tag of the bag. Do not signal the out until the runner has crossed first base or clearly stopped her advance. Sometimes, it will seem like several moments pass until the out is signaled, but this will get your mind into seeing the whole play before making a decision and call.

One other thing I was told was to slow down, when I think I'm slowed down enough, go slower.

On the bangers, you may want to pick up the pace a little to help sell the call, but still force yourself to see the whole play before making the call.

When working the plate, use the same timing on every pitch. Watch the ball hit the catchers mitt, wait a split second, make the call.