View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

I am a second year Fed ump and my main problem is being too quick on the trigger.

Last Tuesday in a game I was the BU in B pos. On a ground ball to F5 I called the BR out at fist when the throw beat the runner. The only problem was that F3 never controlled the ball and I changed the call to safe which brought the Def coach out of the dugout. I just explained that F3 never had control of the ball and I called the out prematurely. He sneered and walked back to the bench.

Yesterday, Thursday, on a throw from F2 to F6 on a stolen base I called an out because the tag and the throw were there. Then I saw the ball on the ground. This time I loudly proclaimed BALL ON GROUND, BALL ON GROUND, RUNNER IS SAFE, selling the changed call. Not a peep from the defense.

Earlier this year when I was PU, I called a ball as the ball was hitting the mitt and as I called it, the batter swung. I changed the call from ball 3 to strike 2. There was no argument but the catcher and batter both appeared to be confused.

I know that I need to slow down and need some suggestions to help.
Thanks

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"