The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Follow my logic a moment on this hypothetical scenario:

The pitcher is top-ranked, and can throw almost any pitch on a whim. Ump hears the batter say under her breath, *Dear God, don't pitch a strike.* The pitcher throws high and outside, trying to get the batter to chase it. Batter doesn't swing at the obvious ball. Ump calls "Dead Ball - Strike 1"

Offensive Coach requests Time, comes over from the 3rd base coaches box, asking why the ump ruled the dead ball - strike.

Response of the ump: "I'm a deeply religious man, coach. I heard your batter pray to God that the pitch not be a strike. It wasn't a strike. I believe that her prayer prevented the pitch from being a strike. Therefore, in my judgement, the pitched ball was prevented from entering the strike zone by the actions of your batter, so I rules a dead ball strike. Let's play ball, coach."
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

HAHA I'd pay to see that one done to a coach.. might even be fun for a hidden video gag to pull on coaches and video their reaction.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
Follow my logic a moment on this hypothetical scenario:

The pitcher is top-ranked, and can throw almost any pitch on a whim. Ump hears the batter say under her breath, *Dear God, don't pitch a strike.* The pitcher throws high and outside, trying to get the batter to chase it. Batter doesn't swing at the obvious ball. Ump calls "Dead Ball - Strike 1"

Offensive Coach requests Time, comes over from the 3rd base coaches box, asking why the ump ruled the dead ball - strike.

Response of the ump: "I'm a deeply religious man, coach. I heard your batter pray to God that the pitch not be a strike. It wasn't a strike. I believe that her prayer prevented the pitch from being a strike. Therefore, in my judgement, the pitched ball was prevented from entering the strike zone by the actions of your batter, so I rules a dead ball strike. Let's play ball, coach."
I have to pray about this one before I give an answer.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

As an atheist I call em as I see em
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
I believe that her prayer prevented the pitch from being a strike. Therefore, in my judgement, the pitched ball was prevented from entering the strike zone by the actions of your batter, so I rules a dead ball strike. Let's play ball, coach."
Actually, the batter just made a request. It was God that prevented the pitch from entering the strike zone.

Whaddaya gonna do.....call a strike on God?!?!

Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
Whaddaya gonna do.....call a strike on God?!?!
After this weekend's NUS in Seattle...God wasn't on the lineup. That makes God either guilty of spectator interference (so now the batter is out) - or God was an unreported substitute (and now I get to disqualify God from the game).

Which penalty do you want me to enforce, coach?