The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

would you rather be on the field with a fellow umpire who had strong mechanics, or one who had a thorough knowledge of the rules. Why?
pick one or the other, cause it's not a perfect world.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

So.. he has a GREAT sell out call and looks beautiful in "C" ... but doesnt know when to use them?

or

He knows when to call someone out but looks like a dork doing it?

.. I'd have to say.. I prefer knowing the rules..
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

That's easy.

Since I have a thorough understanding of the rules, I'll take a partner with great mechanics any day.

A partner who is the correct position every time, makes strong, emphatic calls, and communicates well with players and coaches is a pleasure to work with.

If that umpire misapplies a game rule, I will be there to help correct the situation.

On the other hand, many umpires who can recite the rulebook don't know a thing about umpiring. They use poor signals (if at all), can't get even the wide-open calls right, and would melt if a coach got in his/her face.

Our association President is a good example of an outstanding umpire who needs a little help at times applying the correct rule to a situation. I would much rather umpire with him than some bookworm who keeps me in hot water all game.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

varefump's answer got me thinking about the question. So, I will add a caveat to my answer:

I would rather work with a partner that has a thorough knowledge of the rules and knows how to apply them in the game!

I have worked with many officials in different sports that did really well on the rules tests and could quote the rules backwards and forwards, but couldn't call the game on the field or court to save their lives.

It is my experience that almost all of the people connected with softball (except other umpires) really don't care about the umpires signals and mechanics, they just want the umpires to know the rules and apply them correctly.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by booker227
would you rather be on the field with a fellow umpire who had strong mechanics, or one who had a thorough knowledge of the rules. Why?
Depends on which one is bringing the beer!
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Notice he said the choice was between rule knowledge and mechanics.

Mechanics is not the same as rule application.

Mechanics is being in position, rotating to cover as the play develops, signals, verbalization, proper timing, etc., etc.

All essential to good umpiring.

If I had to choose between a partner who knew the rules AND how to apply them, but was basically a mechanics klutz, or a guy who hadn't cracked a book in 20 years because nothing ever changed but knew his business on mechanics, I'd...

Put the rules guy behind the plate, and
Put the mechanics guy on the bases!

Adapt and survive!
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...strong mechanics, or one who had a thorough knowledge of the rules.
So in (a) my partner stands there after the play and I say, "what you got?" He says, "I don't know, I was in position and saw it perfectly, but I don't know what the rule is."

In (b) my partner is still in the A position as the batter runner slides into third and I say, "what you got?" He says, "I didn't see it, but if you'll explain it to me, I quote you the rule number."

Obviously you need some of each. I personally would prefer someone that has good mechanics and can be in great position to make the calls. I would guess 99% of our calls are just "routine" safe and outs.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

nothing worse than working with a partner
that is very weak in rules knowledge--
I can always cover up for one with poor
mechanics !!

then again--- let's talk umpires
with poor common sense --
they'll get you into trouble every time !!

Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll go with the umpire with rules knowledge. Please note that an umpire with "rules knowledge" is someone that doesn't just study them from a book, but from clinics.

It is much harder to convince a coach of a rule s/he believes is something else at the beginning than supporting your partner on a call. Or, at least, it seems to be for me.

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Feb 16th, 2006 at 12:06 PM]
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Give me the rules guy, since I can teach him the mechanics more quickly than trying to teach him the rules.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Put the rules guy behind the plate, and
Put the mechanics guy on the bases!

Adapt and survive!
Nice distinction.

Mike