The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

I was browsing a softball team I work for Fed and found some pics of me and obs calls... Maybe they are HTBT .. I remember this game was full of OBS calls (3 or 4) - so maybe they posted the pics as revenge, dont know..

This play seems pretty clear on the obs to me - I remember the play and the call and I called OBS:
http://www.calaveras.k12.ca.us/07%20...e/IMG_5879.jpg

http://www.calaveras.k12.ca.us/07%20...e/IMG_5880.jpg

On this one I have OBS Signalled right away.. and this ones a little closer and was wondering your thoughts -

http://www.calaveras.k12.ca.us/07%20...e/IMG_5830.jpg

http://www.calaveras.k12.ca.us/07%20...e/IMG_5832.jpg

Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Are you sure #3 is obstruction? Not so sure it is. Girl is sliding in, yes fielder is straddling the base, but it looks like by the picture the runner has a complete opening to the base and she is not being obstructed. JMHO. Dave
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

In the 1st/2nd pictures, does F6/F4 have the ball in possession in the 1st picture or not? If not, OBS. If so, and the ball came out on contact, I've got nothing.

In the 2nd set (the 3rd and 4th pix), I've got nothing.

Remember - you need two things for OBS - 1) a fielder in the path of the runner without possession of the ball, and 2) an alteration (including or not including contact) of the runner's path.

I don't think the runner altered her path at all because of the fielder being in the basepath without the ball.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Where is the ball in picture one of the first set and if defense player has the ball how long before runner arrived.

Where is the ball in the first picture of the second set. If defenseive player has ball no OBS. OBS is still in question even if she doesn't have the ball, she letting the base runner have access to the front of the bag, or is the runner sliding because the defensive player is blocking her running and rounding the base or was she just sliding from the start.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I can't see anything in any of these pics that is OBS, unless
- #3 or #4 are cases of fielders w/o the ball faking tags or
- #2 is the fielder losing the ball after once having possession and impdeing the runner before the ball arrived
or
- #2 is what it looks like, the fielder just catching the ball and the wide slide was because the fielder was impeding.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with the play in the first two pitures, assuming that the fielder in red does not have the ball. Easy call.

Before I offer an opinion on the play in the second set of pictures, let me say this: It is difficult to judge obstruction on a play like this from a still photograph. You need to see the whole play to get a good read on whether or not there is obstruction.

The fielder is definetely straddling the base. This action, in and of itself, is not obstruction. In the first picture of this play, the runner appears to be sliding directly into the base. Assuming that she came from second base on the same path, she has not yet been obstructed as she has not altered her path due to the presence of the fielder. The second picture doesn't help at all, since I can't see the ball or when the runner and fielder contacted each other prior to the runner reaching the base (if they did at all).

I will say that, without seeing the whole play, your obstruction call was probably premature in the first picture. It's OK to start thinking that you have the potential for obstruction here due to the position of the fielder and the location of the ball, but the call itself cannot be made until the runners path is altered.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Without knowing where the ball is in pic #1, it is pretty hard to tell whether or not that is obstruction.

As for 3 and 4, I must say that I agree that there is nothing that I can see that I would call OBS.

[Edited by Skahtboi on Feb 7th, 2006 at 03:07 PM]

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
I was browsing a softball team I work for Fed and found some pics of me and obs calls... Maybe they are HTBT .. I remember this game was full of OBS calls (3 or 4) - so maybe they posted the pics as revenge, dont know..

This play seems pretty clear on the obs to me - I remember the play and the call and I called OBS:
http://www.calaveras.k12.ca.us/07%20...e/IMG_5879.jpg

http://www.calaveras.k12.ca.us/07%20...e/IMG_5880.jpg

On this one I have OBS Signalled right away.. and this ones a little closer and was wondering your thoughts -

http://www.calaveras.k12.ca.us/07%20...e/IMG_5830.jpg

http://www.calaveras.k12.ca.us/07%20...e/IMG_5832.jpg

Without knowing where the ball is on any of them, I cannot offer an opinion. However, I bet you knew what time it was.

Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

In the first pics, she didnt have the ball in the first pic.. its pretty clear OBS to me.. the 2nd one is closer call... maybe even a blown call... shes not blocking the base... did she cause the runner to slide or alter path, doubtful, im pretty sure in a play that close the 3B coach would be telling the runner to hit the deck..

Kind of weird to a see a team documenting that

I think maybe I started to get real tight on the obs because it was an obs heavy game.

There was another play with the same player in the first pics (she is F6 playing 2B there) where she was covering 3rd and had OBS and was one of the most aggregious OBS I had ever seen, it was like full contact base blocking.

Maybe I'd had it by the one pictured and called obs when i shouldnt have.. dunno..

Good to see pics.. you can grade your self..

I also think I move too much, there were many pics of me on the site plus other games - I didnt realize I move so much, I know i'm high energy and hustle but this year i'm gonna focus on not moving just before the call, that was something else I learned from the pics.