View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 07, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with the play in the first two pitures, assuming that the fielder in red does not have the ball. Easy call.

Before I offer an opinion on the play in the second set of pictures, let me say this: It is difficult to judge obstruction on a play like this from a still photograph. You need to see the whole play to get a good read on whether or not there is obstruction.

The fielder is definetely straddling the base. This action, in and of itself, is not obstruction. In the first picture of this play, the runner appears to be sliding directly into the base. Assuming that she came from second base on the same path, she has not yet been obstructed as she has not altered her path due to the presence of the fielder. The second picture doesn't help at all, since I can't see the ball or when the runner and fielder contacted each other prior to the runner reaching the base (if they did at all).

I will say that, without seeing the whole play, your obstruction call was probably premature in the first picture. It's OK to start thinking that you have the potential for obstruction here due to the position of the fielder and the location of the ball, but the call itself cannot be made until the runners path is altered.