The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Yesterday, Craig Cress came to Atlanta, Georgia for a rules clinic. Obviously, the new double first base rule was discussed.

Per Craig (and he is now the top rules guy in ASA), the new rule is the same for both offense and defense. Even though the wording in the rule doesn't spell it out vis-a-vis the defense, once the batter-runner passes first base for the first time, there is now a 15x30 double base that both runner and defense may use to make a play.

Example play, R1 on 1st, steals on the pitch, batter hits fly ball down the right field line. RF makes the catch, and throws back to 1B to double off R1, who is returning to tag up. 1B can stretch from the orange bag, and make the out from that bag.

Again, Craig recognized that the wording in the rule book doesn't state the defense can use either bag, just the offense. However, he stated that was the intent of the rule, and that nothing in the rule as currently written would contradict that intent.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

The question was also asked about a pick-off attempt at first.

Since the BR has now become a R, she may retreat back to any portion of the now 15"x30" bag. On a pick off attempt is this an advantage to either the offense or defense? It will be different than at any other base.

I understand the intent of the double base, but IMO it would be better to lose it!
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

At least the rule is clear. Once the runner passes 1B, the entire slab becomes the base for both fielder and runner. That's easy.

Didn't ASA also change something about when the throw comes to 1B from the outfield?
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
I understand the intent of the double base, but IMO it would be better to lose it! [/B]
I agree with Jel. Get rid of the "extra" 1st base.
Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
At least the rule is clear. Once the runner passes 1B, the entire slab becomes the base for both fielder and runner. That's easy.

Didn't ASA also change something about when the throw comes to 1B from the outfield?
Actually, according to what Steve has passed along to us, it isn't.

I was in the meeting where this was discussed and Jerry Hansen was the individual pushing the opening of the entire base to the offense. I disagreed and was the minority. The major reason for the change? It was too confusing to the umpires. Great, pre-teens can figure it out, but the umpires cannot.

I have been an advocate of the elimination of this piece of equipment before I saw my first. If Steve's information is correct and isn't adjusted to meet the rule, the ASA will negate the entire purpose of the "safety" base.

I'm hoping this was a misunderstanding and will be corrected before we start working ASA games.

Old Sun Jan 22, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

The previous rule (8-2.M(3)) required the batter-runner to touch the colored bag on any play from the infield, and the defense to use the white. That change is that this now must happen on any play, infield or outfield, again, only by the batter-runner; it now includes the play where the right fielder picks up the one-hopper and attempts to throw out the batter-runner.

That is still a case of the first time by. That is the only instance anymore of the "safety base"; first time by,, by the batter-runner. On the return, or any other use of first base thereafter, it is now a full double base, no safety usage involved, for both.

I wish I knew why it was considered so complicated; it seems to me that the tweaks and clarifications have made it more complicated. Oh well.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
The previous rule (8-2.M(3)) required the batter-runner to touch the colored bag on any play from the infield, and the defense to use the white. That change is that this now must happen on any play, infield or outfield, again, only by the batter-runner; it now includes the play where the right fielder picks up the one-hopper and attempts to throw out the batter-runner.

That is still a case of the first time by. That is the only instance anymore of the "safety base"; first time by,, by the batter-runner. On the return, or any other use of first base thereafter, it is now a full double base, no safety usage involved, for both.

I wish I knew why it was considered so complicated; it seems to me that the tweaks and clarifications have made it more complicated. Oh well.
Hell, even the slow pitch players figured it out along with the 10 yo girls!