The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

We've been pretty fortunate in this area of Pa to have some extremely good pitching and some solid high school teams in one of the leagues. I got the call to do the plate in an early afternoon quarter final between the 2-seed and the
6-seed. Both these teams are in the same league and they split durng the regular season. Anyway, the 6-seed lost by 2 runs. I had all the bangers in the game - 3 plays at the plate. If the losing team's catcher learns how to hang onto the ball, they win. I made 2 calls from the 3rd base side and one from the infield side - each time in perfect position to see the catch and slide and then to see the ball on the ground. After the game & a short post-game, I hopped on the interstate and went to watch the team from the town I live in. The pitcher missed perfect game by 3 outs - glad to see that it was clearly a hit. They won
1-0, taking advantage of the speed of the shortstop & then pulling off a well-done suicide squeeze. 5 senior pitchers in this league & all going to good programs next year - what's even cooler is that my association covers those conferences.

[Edited by Steve M on May 26th, 2001 at 10:42 PM]
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Aint playoffs great!

My #2 daughters team advanced to the Final Four In Raleigh yesterday. (AA school classification) They finshed 2nd in state last year and 4th the year before that. (#1 and #2 daughters were both on that 1999 team.)

So far this year no one has scored on them in post season play. Daughter has no errors in playoffs and 4RBIs.

I was assigned to a 2nd round playoff game for what was reportedly two of the top teams in the East Reagon (AA schools). Game went 8 full innings and visitors won 6-5.

I'm looking forward to watching daughter's team in Final Four next weekend in Raleigh. In addition to her, there are 8 other girls on the team that I've coached in the past. I sure hope they can get the big one to finish their time together.

Roger Greene, (proud father)
Member UT
Old Sat May 26, 2001, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Some good ball being played this time of year......

Our local teams have been knocked out in HS play (this past week)......but some darn good ones getting to quarter finals. AAAA State finals are next weekend.......tournament style (I believe the top teams from each area....4)

Congrats on your daughters Roger......

And Steve.....keep us up to date on the Penn. games.

Joel
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Good College Games

Speaking of good games, the LSU/OKU was a
great game. Dont believe that I can spread
as far apart as the PU. I disagree on the
call that got winning run on, I thought she
lifted elbow into pitch, but TV is not always
clear way to see things.

Plate, did ask partner, got a no. Anyway it
was a great game.

Joel, which girl was from your area. Sneed, or
Douglas. Someone else?
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Dee Douglas.

She was one of the best I have seen come through this area. Heck of a sprinter in track too.

Joel
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Dee was a good one. I called couple of
LaMarques games this year in the Brenham
Classic.
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

His partner is a friend of mine and an ASA/ISF umpire from SoCal. I noticed she was wearing her contacts, I hope d:-)

I believe the errant throw from the SS could have been saved if the first baseman knew how to play first. The OU 1st baseman may have had a shot of at least knocking down the throw if she didn't have to make an awkward lunge for the ball.

Somewhere along the way, coaches have stopped coaching good first base mechanics. Whether softball or baseball, too many young players run to the bag, plant a foot on the bag and stretch toward the player fielding the ball.

Any good first baseman will tell you that you don't even select the foot to touch the bag, let alone begin to stretch, until the throw is released and inroute. One of these days, some coach is going to start teaching this mechanic and will probably be hailed as a great defensive innovator. Go figure!

Old Sun May 27, 2001, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you Mike, that ball probably
should have at least been knocked down be-
fore reaching the point it did. Probably
would still be playing. I am not sure which
of the pitchers was wearing out if either.
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

The OU pitcher looked like she was falling asleep. In the previous half-inning, the camera caught her yawning in the dugout. That was a lot of continuous softball they played.
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Mike,
Rick Bertagnoli - coach at California U of Pa - teaches & insists on his 1st bastmen using that technique. They won D2 in 97 & 98, 4th or 5th in 99, and have been knocked out at regionals the past 2 years by our local D2 powerhouse - Bloomsburg. As I've been told, Rick recruits pitchers, catchers, and middle infielders and hen teaches them what he wants & needs them to play. Quite a coach in a number of ways.
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

That's a good thing. I'm glad there are still some body out there that coaches more than just pitching and hitting.
Old Sun May 27, 2001, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Mike..........could you????

Mike could you teach some of our F3's here?

Youngest's team in a tournament this weekend.......played well.....but some basic mistakes.......like the one you mentioned.........

Two times had protestable rule calls (I kept my mouth shut).....and no-one asked....(grin)

I plan on giving a clinic to the coaches before their next tournament on how to properly approach an umpire and ask for their ruling...........if they would have asked the right questions this weekend they could have gotten a couple of breaks..........oh well........maybe they will know after a little umpire coaching.

Joel

New photos/stories at website.......check it out. Please sign the guestbook

http://www.eteamz.com/sites/GCBUmpire