The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

This actually occurred in a 7-8 year-old coach pitch game. F5 is coached to plant his left foot on the inside corner of third base (right foot is toward pitchers mound) and not to move from this position if a ball is hit into the outfield. F4 and F6 used the same tactic at second base.

Our kids still made it around the bases (we won 23-3) but we're always forced to run outside these kids planted on the bases. At first the umps told the opposing coach to move his players off the bases, but he refused, stating "he's the third baseman, it's his base and he's entitled to be there if the ball is in play". Believe it or not the umps (both of them) bought this argument.

I explained that #1) this is illegal due to the definition of obstruction (2.00) and #2) this was a very unsafe practice that will likely lead to collisions on the bases.

Please bring me back out of the "Twilight Zone" and tell me how the umpire should have handled this. I want your advice in taking this to the league commissioner and the Board of Directors if necessary. This tactic is used by two different teams (both with horrible W-L records) and both sets of game umps gave in to what I thought was a totally nonsensical argument by the coaches. Thanks guys.
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Weak umpires and poor excuse for coaches. For that matter, why do you need ANY umpires for this level of game?

Wait until the first time this kid moves up, plants that foot and gets barreled over by someone twice his/her size. The umpire, hopefully, will rule obstruction and this kid's parent(s) is going to go bezerk.

This league should get their collective head out of their *** and get these kids proper instruction BEFORE someone gets hurt.

Old Mon May 21, 2001, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Mike is 100% correct on the improper coaching of these children.I like to do a little preventitive umpiring when I see this happen during a game.If I see the first baseman,for example,with her foot on the base on an extra base hit,I will talk to her about the importance of giving the runner the right away with no play being made at that base.If contact was made,I will give the delayed dead ball signal and award any obstruction penalty if needed.Then explain briefly to the player the reason for the infraction.The umpires should have set the coaches straight with the rule,and applied the proper rule if their players didnt comply.
Jeff
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff,
I often do that, too. But whenever I speak to any player, I'll make sure that the coach is right there, too.
Old Mon May 21, 2001, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

I totally agree with Mike Jeff and Steve. My
question is, What organization is this league
being run under. Brand name such as Little
League, Dixie, Pony, etc. I am assumming it is base-
ball and not softball since original post refers
to male types, not that it matters cause it sounds
like an unsafe program. Maybe commissioners of
whichever ruling organization runs it should review
it. JMHO
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue May 22, 2001, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Papasmurf,

A lot of the c-ball leagues are run by local PTOs or community groups. Many are not affiliated with any group other than the locals running the program. In many cases the commisioner of the league is a mother who volunteers her time or a father who saw a ball game on TV one time. Many times the umpires are also volunteers or coaches from teams not playing.

I appreciate the volunteers time, but unfortunatly when it comes to umpires, you often get what you pay for.

Hopefully through public boards like this we can teach these volunteers, and maybe even get an umpire to start his or her career. Those were some of the first games I called, and the games that first caused me to go out and buy a rule book. Actually reading the rule book for the first time was quite an eye opener. I learned how much I didn't know!!!

Roger Greene
Member UT
Old Tue May 22, 2001, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

What kind of league? It's LL Pony 7-8 M&F

It is a coach-pitch league. The umpires are usually 15-18 year-old kids that try to do a good job. They are paid but not paid very much. The main problem is that most don't know the obstruction rule and they can be intimidated by real loud mouth/jerk coaches. Of course the coach that taught this tactic (having F5 planted on the inside corner at all times after the ball is hit to the OF) thought I was a jerk for bringing the obstruction to the umpire's attention when we were already beating them by 15 runs or so. I explained I wasn't concerned about the score, only the safety of the kids and teaching them how to properly play the game. I've yet to see obstruction called by an umpire on a F4, F5, or F6 in 1 1/2 years in this league. I'd say it happens 5-10 times a game. The umps do occasionally try to get a F3 to stay on the edge of the 1B bag when taking throws. Poor coaching by about 20-25% of coaches ignorant of proper techniques is the main problem. These guys think they know it all but fail to make the connection between their poor W-L record and their coaching ability. The worst coaches I've dealt with consistently have poor W-L records. The league is affiliated with LL and I'll be bringing this problem to the attention of the league commissioner in hopes he'll pass it on to the umpires and the coaches. Thanks for the responses guys.