The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

USSSA
Bases loaded, 1 out.
Batter hits a pop fly behind 2nd base which I judged no one could catch with ordinary effort. R1 (on 3B) took off as soon as the ball was hit. Center fielder raced in and tried to make a diving catch, but the ball hit her glove and rolled away. R2 and R3 froze to see if F8 would catch it. By this time, R1 had scored. SS picked up ball off the ground and threw to 3B to force R2 who then threw to 2B to force R3 for the double play. Offense's coach comes to me saying, "the run scores right because it's a 'continuous action' play". I say no way, I've got 2 force outs, therefore the run cannot score, even if she scored an hour before the force outs were made. He and his coaches think I just don't know the rules. I say there is nothing in the rule book about any 'continuous action' and the run does not count.

My question is this. What is this "continuous action" play business? I heard another coach refer to this during another game (not mine) and I was wondering what the heck the coaches were talking about.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with your call. Two force outs on the play makes three and the run doesn't count. The Continuous action claim might be one of those "rules" that coaches think they know but isn't really a rule at all. I have never heard of continuous action talked about in any officials meeting.
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

I also agree with your call. Don't understand "Continuous action" either.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

The only thing I could think they were talking about was a "timing play" where the runs score before the last out was made and they are just calling it something else.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I believe I have a good old fashioned 8-6-5-4 double play, and I'm two outs closer to the 42 I need.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 11:02pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

"Continuous Action is an uninterrupted progression of play, starting with the pitch, and ending typically when the runners have ceased trying to advance and the defense has relaxed and returned the ball to the pitcher. Continuous action is defined as such to distinguish it from a "play" which can disallow an appeal." - Jaksa/Roder
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Please, Mick...

Quoting J/R just confuses us softball guys!

Jaksa who?

[Edited by BretMan on Dec 14th, 2005 at 08:54 AM]