The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 10, 2001, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Schedular called to ask me to do a BIG game in one of our local associations this evening.........two teams in a dead heat and this game decides the league champion (and which coach gets to coach the State Team), so to them it is a big deal.......

This was the 2nd game of two.........I took plate in first and was BU for the league championship game........

The 6 p.m. game was a 12U between a couple of pretty good teams.......and had a swinging HBP.........called it....."Dead Ball"..........STRIKE.........

The coaches and fans did not like that one little bit.........

The Mom of the girl in question tracked me down while I was changing out of my plate gear for the 2nd game.......and said it was not fair that her daughter did not get first base because she got hit.................she said the coach explained the rule to her.......but it "Just Wasn't Right".......I told her that I just call em'......I don't write em'.......

The BIGGIE game was a pretty well played game........and even got complimented by the losing coaches.........Ahhhhhhhhhhh

I did feel in the grove tonight.

Joel

So damn far behind on laundry though after about a month of every night at the ballpark.........I am out of uniforms......looks like it's going to be a late one getting some clean so I will look decent for a 18U tourney that starts tommorow night.......

Old Fri May 11, 2001, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Tough Call

Sometimes those compliments are hard to come by Gulf Coast Blue. But when you get them they certainly can be good for the ego. Did JV game Wednesday night alone. Had bases loaded and girl bunts down first base line. Catcher starts for ball but retreats to cover plate as pitcher is going to get to the ball first...Ball tossed to plate, catcher doing dance with back to plate trying to find plate with foot. Great view on my part...Girl slides in, SAFE, catcher never touches plate..Of course all the fans, parents behind the backstop had a much better view than me and I'm called everything but a umpire.....While changing in the parking lot after the game here comes young man about 18..Tells me it was his girlfriend that I had called out on the play and that I had made the right call...seems he was behind the backstop and had the same view as all those other "umpires" but saw it a little different then they did...go figure.