The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

2006 Rule Changes

RULE 1:

FOUL TIP: A batted ball that goes directly from the bat to the catcher’s hand(s) ro glove/mitt and is legally caught by the catcher. Comment: Eliminates the “not higher than the batter’s head.

PARTICIPANT: A participant is a starting player, substitute, manager, coach or other team representative located in the dugout, team area or field of play.

ON-DECK CIRCLE: The area nearest their dugout in which the next batter of the offensive team is restricted to before the release of the pitch.

LEGAL TAG: The act of a defensive player in:
A) Touching a base with any part of the body while holding the ball securely and firmly in the hand or glove, or
B)Touching a runner or batter-runner with the ball while securely held in the hand or glove.

EXTRA PLAYER (EP): An optional player(s) in slow pitch.

FLEX: The player who is initially listed in the 10th spot on the line-up card, may play any defensive position, and may enter the game on offense only in the Designated PlayerÂ’s (DP) batting position.

MANAGER: The team representative that must have control of their team at all times on and off the field.

COACH: A person who occupies the coachÂ’s box and/or assists in the direction of their team representatives on the field.

COACHÂ’S BOX: The area in which the two base coaches (one per box) are restricted to prior to the release of the pitch.

DESIGNATED PLAYER (DP): The player who is initially on the line-up card in the teamÂ’s batting order, but not in the defensive line-up.

TRAPPEDBALL. Remove definition.

BASE ON BALLS: Remove the words “without the liability ot be put out and is awarded to a batter by the umpire.” Should read “A base on balls permits a batter to gain first base when four pitches are judged by the umpire to be out of the strike zone.” Comment: As of yet, the NUS is debating the official interpretation on whether a BR can be called out for interference if there is no play at first and is hit by a thrown ball outside the 3’ lane when applicable.

FOUL BALL: Delete the reference: “not higher than the batter’s head.” Would now read: “Goes directly from the bat to any part of the catcher’s body or equipment and is caught by another fielder. Comment: A batter ball “fair or foul” should not be judged by the height of the batter’s head.

RULE 2

(FP) Change the fence distance for MenÂ’s FP to 250Â’ minimum to 275 maximum.

Change pitching distance for 18-Under GOLD Fast Pitch Division to 43Â’

Add fence distances:
Women’s Modified – 275’ max
Womens’ 16” SP – 250’ max
Men’s 16” SP – 300’ max

Change batter’s box for 16” SP to 4’ X 8’

Glove or Mitt may be worn by all defensive players.

Delete the restriction on numbers involving “0” when the first number on player jersey. IOW, 3 and 03 or 0 and 00 are two different numbers.

DISQUALIFIED OR EJECTED PARTICIPANT.
A. 1. A disqualified player is prohibited from playing, but can remain in the dugout or serve as a coach/manager.
2. An ejected participant must leave the grounds and cannot have contact with the umpires or participants in the game.
EFFECT: Game is forfeited.

MenÂ’s SP homerun:

1) Eight (8) MenÂ’s Class A;
2) Four (4) MenÂ’s A Ind, Class B Major Coed & Church;
3) Two (2) MenÂ’s Class C, Class A Coed, Masters
35over, Masters A and Major 40over, MasterÂ’s A &
Major45over
4) None (0) MenÂ’s Class D

TIME LIMIT RULE:
Delete the exception of when there is no time limit for the GirlÂ’s 10U div.

Change 6.1.D to read: “The pitcher must not simulate a legal pitch while not in contact with the pitcher’s plate.”

16” SP: The pitcher shall not attempt a pick-off after the second hesitation.
EFFECT: The ball is dead and an illegal pitcher shall be called.

(MP) Add restrictions:
1) Nine man major, the pivot foot must be dragged and not lose contact with the ground.

When a pitched ball, in the umpireÂ’s judgement, is prevented from entering the strike zone by any actions of the batter other than hitting the ball. EFFECT: Dead ball, strike.

DOUBLE FIRST BASE:

“Whenever a play is being made on a batter-runner advancing to first base,” COMMENT: Requires the BR to use colored portion of 1B any time there is a play being made at that base, not just when the play is made by an infielder.

After over-running 1B, the runner may now return to either portion of the base.
Anytime a runner is returning to 1B, s/he may use either portion of the base.
When tagging up on a fly ball, the runner may start on either portion of the base.
COMMENT: With the exception of a BR touching 1B when a play is being made on said BR at 1B, the runner may use either portion of the base.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
BASE ON BALLS: Remove the words “without the liability ot be put out and is awarded to a batter by the umpire.” Should read “A base on balls permits a batter to gain first base when four pitches are judged by the umpire to be out of the strike zone.” Comment: As of yet, the NUS is debating the official interpretation on whether a BR can be called out for interference if there is no play at first and is hit by a thrown ball outside the 3’ lane when applicable.
UGGGGGHHHHH!
Quote:
Change 6.1.D to read: “The pitcher must not simulate a legal pitch while not in contact with the pitcher’s plate.”
Presumably, SP Only?
Quote:
DOUBLE FIRST BASE:

“Whenever a play is being made on a batter-runner advancing to first base,” COMMENT: Requires the BR to use colored portion of 1B any time there is a play being made at that base, not just when the play is made by an infielder.

When tagging up on a fly ball, the runner may start on either portion of the base.
COMMENT: With the exception of a BR touching 1B when a play is being made on said BR at 1B, the runner may use either portion of the base.
OK - that is a simplification, but it does seem to give an advantage to the offense and seems to deviate from the alleged safety purpose of the rule. What about the defense? Can the defensive player now use the orange base for a live ball appeal (for example)?
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2006 Rule Changes

RULE 1:

FOUL TIP: A batted ball that goes directly from the bat to the catcher’s hand(s) ro glove/mitt and is legally caught by the catcher. Comment: Eliminates the “not higher than the batter’s head.

FOUL BALL: Delete the reference: “not higher than the batter’s head.” Would now read: “Goes directly from the bat to any part of the catcher’s body or equipment and is caught by another fielder. Comment: A batter ball “fair or foul” should not be judged by the height of the batter’s head.

Now I'm confused, but I don't have my rule book so maybe its just from reading these two together and not having the full definitions in front of me. This would imply that all foul balls caught by the catcher directly from the bat to hand or glove/mitt are Foul Tips, even if the ball goes 50 feet in the air. Therefore the batter would not be out if this was on the first or second strike. This sounds just plain silly to me, so I must be missing something.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
Now I'm confused, but I don't have my rule book so maybe its just from reading these two together and not having the full definitions in front of me. This would imply that all foul balls caught by the catcher directly from the bat to hand or glove/mitt are Foul Tips, even if the ball goes 50 feet in the air. Therefore the batter would not be out if this was on the first or second strike. This sounds just plain silly to me, so I must be missing something.
What you're missing is what is meant by "directly." 50 feet in the air is not "directly". "Directly" means more like "straight back." NFHS training on this same rule change last year was that if the umpire observed a "perceptible arc" in the path of the batted ball, that it was NOT a foul tip. Certainly, you would agree that a towering pop up has a perceptible arc!
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
2006 Rule Changes

RULE 1:

There was clarification offered that will insure there is wording to the effect that "directly" will include that the ball goes sharply to the catcher. IOW, the only thing this does is remove the batter's head as a point of reference on any foul ball.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

ASA was right to remove the "not higher than the batter's head" clause. The criterion of "directly from the bat" is sufficient, and the height of the batter's head is irrelevant.

The clause was probably originally there to say, "If it pops over the batter's head, it can't be considered 'directly from the bat.'"

However, foul balls can be below the batter's head and still not be "directly from the bat." And in some instances, the ball could be above the batter's head and still be directly from the bat: Batter swings at a pitch over her head and barely ticks the ball. Catcher reaches up and catches the ball directly off the bat. Under the old definition, that was technically not a foul tip (though I can't really imagine any umpire calling it a caught fly ball). It is now.

The safety base changes are also intelligent. There are many plays in which the right fielder throws out a runner at 1B, so why not go for safety there, too?

Since ASA did not amend their OBS rule about an intervening play canceling the immunity of a runner who had safely reached the base he would have reached without the OBS, I assume that ASA meant what it said last year, that there had to be an intervening play. Our UIC had maintained that an intervening play was not necessary even though the book said it was.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule

The safety base changes are also intelligent. There are many plays in which the right fielder throws out a runner at 1B, so why not go for safety there, too?
That part is intelligent. The others, IMO, are not. Jerry Hanson maintained that allowing the offense to use either base at any time other than when a play is being made on the BR is basically making it easier for the offense to understand. IMO, which was not that of the majority, it is simply dummying down a rule that has just gotten to the point of acceptability and understanding by the players, coaches and managers. It was argued that it gives the offense no advantage. I disagree. It gives the player occupying 1B the opportunity to get a running start on the pitch, hit or tag-up.
Quote:

Since ASA did not amend their OBS rule about an intervening play canceling the immunity of a runner who had safely reached the base he would have reached without the OBS, I assume that ASA meant what it said last year, that there had to be an intervening play. Our UIC had maintained that an intervening play was not necessary even though the book said it was.
I believe the actually terminology used was "subsequent" play on another runner, but there was never a doubt what was meant by the rule. It was clearly covered in last year's published rule changes and the National UIC Clinic in February. At first, I also thought they should have taken it to be anytime, but then I started thinking about how goofy it could get with some pretty off-the-wall rulings. With a subsequent play, there is a definite division of plays so it would be quite clear to most when the runner would voluntarily move into a position of jeopardy.

Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I completley disagree with the intelligence of this rule on the following points.
Quote:
DOUBLE FIRST BASE:
Precludes/contradicts when the throw is coming from the foul side of 1B, i.e. dropped third strike, etc.

Quote:

Patently gives the offense an advantage by increasing the real estate on only one side of the ball.

Serves no additional support for the original purpose of the rule which was to eliminate injuries with BR in full-speed run with F3 stretched out and exposing the achilles.

Quote:
/QUOTE]
I guess this means for the look back rule as well.

[QUOTE
[B]What about not being in contact with the white portion of the base prior to the pitcher releasing the ball?[B]

Quote:

Again, why not let F3 use either portion of the base? This is one of the most screwed up rules I have seen in a long time.

[Edited by tcannizzo on Nov 21st, 2005 at 10:30 AM]
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo
This is one of the most screwed up rule I have seen in a long time.
I'm withholding judgment (at least at this extreme) until the final wording is pubished, but it is not looking good. ASA took a relatively simple rule and allowed the flat earth society to mess with it.

If NFHS had any thoughts about adopting the ASA rule for the double base, they should start distributing the garlic necklaces.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

BTW, if you haven't heard, Kevin Ryan apparently has resigned his position effective Jan. 1, 2006.

Don't know why, so don't ask. I choose not to speculate.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Kevin Ryan

Quote:
BTW, if you haven't heard, Kevin Ryan apparently has resigned his position effective Jan. 1, 2006.

Don't know why, so don't ask. I choose not to speculate.
Hmmmmmm...had not heard...but been out of the loop a little bit for the last couple weeks (work stuff getting in the way of umpiring)...
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

1) For foul balls then it is now umpire's judgement on what is 'directly' - Fair enough, since I do only SP it give me more possible outs.

2) Double base - This at least gets rid of an attempted argument from a case I had earlier in the year where the BR rounded 1st but may have only touched the orange part of the bag on his way to a triple. The defense appealed that he missed 1B, I said it was a good argument but called him safe. I might have called him out, but after spending all year reminding player to use the orange part of the bag when running to 1B - I wasn't going to call him out. Plus I didn't have the best angle to see if some of his foot actually touched the white.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...This at least gets rid of an attempted argument from a case I had earlier in the year where the BR rounded 1st but may have only touched the orange part of the bag on his way to a triple. The defense appealed that he missed 1B, ...
This wasn't an issue in the old rule. It was a clear as could be.

The BR could touch either base if there is no play being made.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

The old rule was simple: First touch is Orange. Everything after that is White.

I taught that to 8 year olds.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo
The old rule was simple: First touch is Orange. Everything after that is White.

I taught that to 8 year olds.
That's right, but try teaching it to grown men and women playing SP