could hummmmm that old pill.

Saw something that brings up a question
especially since things are slow.

In about the 2nd maybe 3rd inning, plate
umpire picked up catchers mask after a foul/
passed ball and handed it to him. I have
always been told that this is a no-no, I
however, do on occasions do just that. I
look at it this way, no play, ball dead...
and this young lady is protecting me from
harm, why not aide her when possible. I
also delay when I see she may have taken a
shot, or is just a little fatigued from racing
to first or retriving a foul or passed ball.

What are some other thoughts on this???

thanks,

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Aug 14, 2001, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Glen,
I don't pick any equipment up, I might move a bat to the backstop when it's in the baseline. I've been trained over the years not to touch any player's equipment - if for no other reason than it might bother their supersticions. As for delaying when the catcher has taken a shot, yup, any & every time a catcher takes what looks like a nasty shot, I'll clean the plate & ask if they're alright or if they want a couple of minutes. I don't "care" if they're tired - unless it looks like a heat problem - that's just part of the game. Don't forget, they get to spend half the game resting & we don't.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

I have on occasion picked up the catchers helmet and handed it back to her and have never had any instruction one way or the other as to whether this is a no-no.

On recollection........it would be usually after the catcher goes after a foul pop-up and misses. I don't make a habit of it.........but can recall doing it a few times.

On Steve's comment regarding the catcher taking a nasty shot.........I stole the following story from another site......(especially suitable because this started as a LL thread.........grin).

Two years ago I "stepped down" to work an 11-12 year old tournament (the kids were 11 and 12, not the tourney). Catcher takes a foul ball off his forearm. It hurts him. I clean the plate, hear sniffling. He's got tears coming down his cheeks. I ask,

"Ya want me to call you manager over?"

"(Sniff) No sir, I wanna play."

In my best fatherly voice I tell him,

"Tell the world we got two outs."

He steps in front of the plate lifts his mask and yells,

"TWO OUTS, GUYS."

Squats back down and life went on.

Tony Peters

Some day the opportunity may present itself to me in a kid-ball game.........I hope I have the presence of mind to do the same.

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Aug 15th, 2001 at 06:19 PM]
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Nice Story

Joel,

Nice story. I do agree with Steve in some
ways, however, it is a hard habit to break.
Helping out the catcher I mean. I am try-
ing hard to leave the bats alone, unless I
realize they are in direct line of a play
about to happen and I have ample time to
remove it.

glen
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with Steve on this one.

Other than moving a discarded bat for safety reasons, I just do not touch any equipment that does not belong to my partner or myself or if checking safety equipment as required by rule.

I have become very adept to moving a bat with my feet while never taking my eyes off the play. This also helps keep the on-deck batter from possibly stepping into a play and maybe an interference call.

It is just like handling the ball. Unless you are the PU and the ball is coming out of your bag, or exchanging new balls in the middle of the 1st inning, you just do not handle the game ball. It is a very bad habit, and difficult for some to break.
Old Wed Aug 15, 2001, 09:45pm
In Memoriam

Question Aaaaaarrrrgh!

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

It is just like handling the ball. Unless you are the PU and the ball is coming out of your bag, or exchanging new balls in the middle of the 1st inning, you just do not handle the game ball. It is a very bad habit, and difficult for some to break.
Oh,oh!
What mick does is
  • often picks up ball between innings
  • picks up rolling fouls
  • checks every ball coming in from fans
  • checks fouls off batters

Should I stop all that?
    Old Thu Aug 16, 2001, 10:12am
    Official Forum Member

Mick,
    Should you stop ALL that? No, just some. Between innings, leave the ball alone. If a fielder tosses it to you, put it on top of the rubber after you sweep that off. Let fielders get the rolling fouls - I really like this one since I was a "hands of stone" type when I played the field. All fouls that have gone out of play need to come back to you (PU) since you've already put another ball into play - by handing it to the catcher & letting the catcher throw it to the pitcher. As for checking the fouls off the batter, I only do that when something sounds or looks odd.
    Old Thu Aug 16, 2001, 11:00am
    In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
    Originally posted by Steve M
    Mick,
    Should you stop ALL that? No, just some. Between innings, leave the ball alone. If a fielder tosses it to you, put it on top of the rubber after you sweep that off. Let fielders get the rolling fouls - I really like this one since I was a "hands of stone" type when I played the field. All fouls that have gone out of play need to come back to you (PU) since you've already put another ball into play - by handing it to the catcher & letting the catcher throw it to the pitcher. As for checking the fouls off the batter, I only do that when something sounds or looks odd.
    Steve M,
    Thanks!
    Particularly when I am the base ump I feel like I oughta do something... clean the pitchers plate, brush a bag, rub the balls. Since I don't talk to fans, and rarely talk to a partner, I guess I make up stuff to look busy.
    mick
    Old Thu Aug 16, 2001, 07:55pm
    Official Forum Member

Worked the Pony Nationals in Raleigh last week. One of 3 things I got "gigged" for by a UIC was not picking up the ball between half innings and placing it on the pitching rubber. I guess I'd have got by with that one if Steve had been my UIC!

Roger Greene,
    Member UT
    Old Thu Aug 16, 2001, 08:13pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by Roger Greene
    Worked the Pony Nationals in Raleigh last week. One of 3 things I got "gigged" for by a UIC was not picking up the ball between half innings and placing it on the pitching rubber. I guess I'd have got by with that one if Steve had been my UIC!

Roger Greene,
    Member UT
    You must have had a good tournament if that
    is one of the things he *gigged* you for.
    By that I mean it seems as if he (UIC) was
    really digging to find something to get you
    on. One of those that believes there are no
    100's. I had many of those when I was in
    school, I rarely got 100's.

glen

--Mark Twain.
    Old Fri Aug 17, 2001, 06:40am
    Official Forum Member

Mick,

Of course, when it is necessary to check the condition of the ball, an umpire should, but I am basically talking about the game ball.

Using proper rotation, a ball coming in from outside the fence should be heading toward the bag or out of the game.

Reaching to touch any batted ball, unless in self-defense, is just a bad habit. You never know when as the BU you automatically react to a ball while your partner is pointing fair.

As for between innings, ASA teaches that when a player offers you the ball, you point toward the pitcher's plate. If it is tossed in your direction, you should slap or guide it toward the pitcher's plate area.

Two reasons. The first is like Steve said earlier, teams have superstitions and your handling of the ball is not part of it. The second is that teams have been known to attempt to leave the field with less than 3 outs under their belt. As an umpire who is use to accepting a ball from a player, you may end up holding a live ball with runners still in motion. Not a very good position for an umpire to be in.

Old Fri Aug 17, 2001, 06:50am
    In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
    Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
    Mick,

Of course, when it is necessary to check the condition of the ball, an umpire should, but I am basically talking about the game ball.

Using proper rotation, a ball coming in from outside the fence should be heading toward the bag or out of the game.

Reaching to touch any batted ball, unless in self-defense, is just a bad habit. You never know when as the BU you automatically react to a ball while your partner is pointing fair.

As for between innings, ASA teaches that when a player offers you the ball, you point toward the pitcher's plate. If it is tossed in your direction, you should slap or guide it toward the pitcher's plate area.

Two reasons. The first is like Steve said earlier, teams have superstitions and your handling of the ball is not part of it. The second is that teams have been known to attempt to leave the field with less than 3 outs under their belt. As an umpire who is use to accepting a ball from a player, you may end up holding a live ball with runners still in motion. Not a very good position for an umpire to be in.

Thanks, Mike.
    I most definitely would not have thought of all that.
    I must not get out enough to know "the game within the game".
    mick