The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have noticed that depending on which umpire I have at the game they have differing views on when to stop play. I have taught my girls to stop the lead runner and make sure she gets back on the base and then the umpire always stops play. But I have noticed some umpires that stop play as soon as anyone in the in-field has control of the ball. I just found in

R10 S8 I - "When in the judgement of an umpire, all immediate play is apparantly completed, the umpire should call time."

But I have had them call time when my girls were off the base. How can all apparant play be completed with players off the base?

Opinions?

[Edited by Dukat on May 4th, 2001 at 04:50 PM]
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Dukat:

ALL the slo-pitch leagues I've worked had the same rule. When an infielder, or pitcher, has control of the ball in the infield, AND all action has ceased, call time. Just returning the ball to the infield CANNOT keep the runners from advancing, as long as it's continuous.

If the runners are moving, I let the play continue. If they're just standing off the base and not advancing, I kill it.

Bob
Old Fri May 04, 2001, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Dukat......

Our Umpire Association (strictly fastpitch) picked up a new League a couple of years ago who had used a Slow Pitch Association for its first year...........(they decided against us their first year because we were too expensive).

We played a tournament or two there and it drove the teams from other cities NUTS when these guys would kill play at the most inopportune times.

They got so many complaints that they went with a fastpitch association........

It was not an entire bad thing though.......we picked up a few of their guys who really enjoyed calling FP (they still call SP out of their association).

Joel
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

If ball is being held in front of runners, say SS
has ball and runners either 2nd - 1St, kill it,
odds are they are not going to advance with ball
right in front of them, otherwise they will just
stand and stare at each other until you take charge.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

There is no magic moment. The only requirement is that the umpire judges all play complete. Yes, some call it early and in many cases may actually be doing the team a favor in preventing the from doing something stupid.

Personally, I believe FP should use the same rule. Ball gets to the pitcher in the circle and all runners have stopped, just kill the play. For all intent, nothing can happen once this occurs now as long as the runner returns or advances to the base. I know this will be viewed as sacriligious by the FP purist, but there is too much BS on the base paths as it is.

To me, it would improve the game.
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

It does slow the game down, especially when there
is a runner on third and with each pitch she comes
down the line towards home, catcher waving ball in
air walking runner back instead of throwing quickly
back to pitcher. One of the biggest time eaters in
FP lower ages.

[Edited by whiskers_ump on May 5th, 2001 at 09:03 AM]
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Papasmurff,

I've seen this even at the 18U level and it just confuses the hell out of me. It seems that until you hit the college level there is that "dream" that your gonna win a game by getting that runner at third. The more likely scenario if the catcher ever makes a throw is that it will end up in left field and you will lose the game on that run.

College level, catcher gets the ball and pop! That isn't the mitt, but the pitcher's glove getting the ball back in the circle before any of the runners even come to a stop.

Pitcher has a better angle and is probably a more accurate thrower. The runner doesn't have a chance, nor an option other than to go back to the base.

Mike
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

There is NO legitimate reason to kill the ball in fast pitch. Many teams want the ball killed to avoid misplays by the infielders. Tough noogies. Keep the ball in play. Unless you enjoy working 2 1/2 - 3 hour games.

Bob
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

I dont see how killing the ball would slow down play but actually do the opposite speed it up. I can usually get 7 inning in under 1 hour in slow-pitch with 2 good teams calling time after play has ended on each play

JMHO

Don
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

The is NO legitimate reason NOT to kill the ball. The only difference would be you would not get that one extra out a season for a runner accidently stumbling off a base.

If anything, I believe it gives the umpire more control over the game and would help move it along.
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

In the 14U and up game............

Many runners will take the extra base on the throw to the pitcher.......

If the ball were to be dead........they could not do this.........

However........my oldest might like the play killed as you stated..........she got caught napping and got nailed at third after a triple last week

Joel
Old Sun May 06, 2001, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

If the runner is still running and the ball is not back to the circle, than all play is not complete, ergo, killing the ball would not affect such a play.