The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 01, 2001, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Talking All Good Things Must Come to an End!

In preface........I had spent about 25 minutes describing the following in detail only to be booted by my ISP......so my wonderfully crafted outline of events will be forever lost in cyber space.........sigh.......(in other words this is the abridged version.........grin)

Scheduled to call a couple of makeup games tonight.......1 8U solo (my least favorite) and an 18U game. Youngest daughters team learns last night that they also have a makeup scheduled.......so it looks as if I will miss that one.........

I have only called 5-6 Kid ball games this year, so I don't know many of the coaches and I expect the typical Rah-Rah 8U kid game.......but I soon learned that one of the teams was coached by Billy Martin Jr. (to be called BMJ). He chirped the entire game........close calls......obvious calls.....it did not matter......if it went against them.....he felt he was getting screwed.

BMJ's team is visitors and in the top of the 1st BMJ is coaching first. Visitors have a banger to end the top of the inning...........BMJ jumps up and down and SCREAMs........"C'mon Ump.......she was safe by a mile......how could you miss that".....

I give him THE LOOK...........

Bottom of first has R1 on first and ball hit to F7........R1 rounds 2nd and stops when the ball comes into the infield only to have the BR pass her up.........I called "Dead Ball........" pointed to the BR and rang her up.......and put R1 back on 2nd.........

I start trotting back to the plate.........and the light bulb went off.............Crap.....that ball should have stayed live..............(sigh). So now I am kicking myself for booting a rule call........oh well....there goes one for my journal.

Things go well until the 4th when I make an award on a KID ball rule.........BMJ comes flying out of the dugout with......"C'mon Blue.........you weren't looking there.....how can you give her the extra base..........you blew that one"............

This is where things get dicey.........I called time.......and I called the coach over...........(I have NEVER beckoned a coach to come over after they have had their tantrum).........but I'd had enough and was not going to let this one go.........

He comes over and in a calm and even voice I told him......."Coach......my call was a good one.........you are looking at it from a coaches perspective..........I'm not........I could care less who wins this game tonight.........but I'm done with you.....your going to nod your head and go back to your dugout........and I've heard the last from you......any more outbreaks........and I go to your league President...........these kids are 7 and 8 years old out here........DO YOU UNDERSTAND!" He finally "gets it" and sulks back to his dugout. (this is pretty much from memory......but I think I am close).

His team won and I lied through my teeth............I wished he had got his @ss kicked (they won by 5 runs). I also lied when I said I would go to the League President if there were any more outbreaks...........I had a nice chat with the LP anyway.........

This is where I found out that at almost every game there is problems with this guy.........he is not long in the world of coaching Youth Softball.............

My 18U game only one team showed.......so I got outta there in time to catch the last 45 minutes of my youngest's game........sometimes things do work out right.......

Joel

BTW......a few new photos and handouts on my website.....drop on by and check it out. Click on the little red house on the bottom of the page. And remember to sign the guestbook.

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on May 2nd, 2001 at 06:32 AM]
Old Wed May 02, 2001, 06:52am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: All Good Things Must Come to an End!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue

His team won and I lied through my teeth............I wished he had got his @ss kicked (they won by 5 runs). I also lied when I said I would go to the League President if there were any more outbreaks...........I had a nice chat with the LP anyway.........

This is where I found out that at almost every game there is problems with this guy.........he is not long in the world of coaching Youth Softball.............

Good story, Joel.
And another young coach learned a little more about spirit of the game from the ol' Vet.
mick