The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

I am doing a 14U tourney this weekend. I need some re-educating on this particular SITCH.

R1 on 3b. batter gets a base on balls. Catcher thows back to pitcher who stands there. Batter rounds first base. At this point Batter-runner now has to immediately make a decision whether to go to 2B or return to 1b. Correct or is my thinking incorrect.

Bottom line is can Batter-runner round 1B then the LBR kicks in ?

Hope this is clear.I am clear in my head what I am asking but struggling to get it down clearly.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
R1 on 3b. batter gets a base on balls. Catcher thows back to pitcher who stands there. Batter rounds first base. At this point Batter-runner now has to immediately make a decision whether to go to 2B or return to 1b. Correct or is my thinking incorrect.
Correct.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Bottom line is can Batter-runner round 1B then the LBR kicks in ?

The BR can do as you describe but...
The LBR actually goes into effect when the BR touches 1B. R1 needs to start moving one way or the other then.

I have had only 1 LBR violation in the past two seasons, and that was at the 10U level. I doubt you will see any in 14U, unless they are all new players/coaches/teams.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

And if I am not mistaken, the LBR is in effect on the runner at 3rd immediately after the pitcher got the ball
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

JEL

The LBR actually goes into effect when the BR touches 1B. R1 needs to start moving one way or the other then.

So by rounding 1b, leaving the bag, the runner has made her decision to go to 2b. So if she rounds, assuming ball in circle etc...., she can be called for a LBR violation if she returns to 1b at this time ?

I actually had something like this happen. Batter walks, Catcher throws back to P-who just stands there. Batter rounds 1b , P throws over, BR takes off to 2b., 1Baseman drops ball picks it up throws to 2B theen BR stops and goes to 1b ... it happened a little while ago so my memory might not be exact basically I might have blown that call.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
And if I am not mistaken, the LBR is in effect on the runner at 3rd immediately after the pitcher got the ball
May depend on the rule book, but speaking ASA, this is not correct. The LBR does not go into effect in the situation described until the BR reaches 1B.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: JEL

Quote:

So by rounding 1b, leaving the bag, the runner has made her decision to go to 2b. So if she rounds, assuming ball in circle etc...., she can be called for a LBR violation if she returns to 1b at this time ?

No, that runner is now R2 (BR til she touched 1B). In the original post there was a runner at 3B. That runner (R1) is under no obligation to the LBR until the BR touches 1B (and F1 has control.etc.)

Now, if the BR STOPS on 1B, then "rounds" (or moves towards 2B), she is out.

You can also only get one out per play, If 2 umpires call different LBR's they must then figger out which came first (cause the ball is dead on the first violation, you can't have another).