The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 29, 2001, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

This happened in a game last week.

I am PU and the early game is about 1/2 over and the pitcher for the 2nd game is warming up outside the fence of the First Base Dugout.............she uncorks a wild one and hits the 1-1/2 inch backflow preventer for the fields sprinkler system sending a torrent of water into the FB dugout........(this was kinda funny actually......the girls in the dugout all got a little wet).

Well we stopped play for just a second and the coaches got a piece of plywood to deflect the water away from the dugout......nobody knew where the shutoff was so we resumed play with minimal delay.

About 10 minutes later between innings, I notice a large pool of water starting to form in foul territory about 30' behind first base against the fence (just where an overthrow to first might go.

My partner and I looked at it and it was about 3-4 inches deep and about 15 feet long and about 6 feet onto the grass from the fence.

I informed both coaches that we now had a dead ball area in the area where the water was standing.....if a ball went into this area......we would call it dead and award bases accordingly.

Is this how y'all would have handled it?

They got the water shut off about 10 minutes after that and the standing water was gone by the start of the 2nd game......so we did not make it a dead ball area for that game.

Joel

BTW.........Don is just 1 post away.........

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Apr 29th, 2001 at 06:17 PM]
Old Sun Apr 29, 2001, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Joel

Thanks for noticing I been trying to think of something real creative all weekend to post for my BIG 100 post but have been unable to come up with anything unless someone has any good ideas to keep me from pulling my drive shots left on the golf course as I did all day today it look like I was trying to swing a bat instead of a club. But I guess that would belong on a golf forum somewhere.

Sounds like you did the right thing on the field Joel probably kept a 1st baseman from doing one of those head first slide into the fence and both coaches agree I say play on

Now a SENIOR MEMBER (LOL)

Don
Old Sun Apr 29, 2001, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Dont know if I would have thought that quickly
or not but it was a good way to put a "DAMPER"
on things.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2001, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Actually.......neither coach was happy with a 2 base award for the ball going into this area (one even suggested that we make it just a "1 base award".......but I just explained that it beat an injured F3 or that a runner may get more if we required a play from this area......

They got the picture and did not say anymore.

Joel

Don......your barking up the wrong tree on golf......

I may shoot an 86 today and a 105 tommorow.......

I wish I had my old game back........used to have a 12 handicap......but that was many moons ago......now it is very hit and miss...........

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Apr 29th, 2001 at 08:53 PM]
Old Sun Apr 29, 2001, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Hey Joel,

If you didn't mi**** (this is too funny, nailed by the board censor. the word I was trying for is mis-hit) so much maybe that 12 handicap would be back. I myself have a "14" handicap... every club in my bag

Don,

Welcome to the "senior" ranks. You probably saw my big meaningful post for my big 100.

--Sam

[Edited by SamNVa on Apr 29th, 2001 at 10:50 PM]
Old Sun Apr 29, 2001, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Golf

Actually the golf game was pretty fun today it was a scramble tournment for ASA blue brothers mostly umpires in our associtation the only problems is we could never find our balls since we all know all umps are blind and whenever a rule situation came up there was alway at least 10 different views but besides that all went well

Enough for tonight

Don