The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Has this discussion lthis weekend. I say it's a DB strike. If the batter has two strikes, swings and is hit on the hands what is the ruling. NCAA rules please. The guy I was discussing this with said it was diferent in NCAA vs other groups.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by outathm
Has this discussion lthis weekend. I say it's a DB strike. If the batter has two strikes, swings and is hit on the hands what is the ruling. NCAA rules please. The guy I was discussing this with said it was diferent in NCAA vs other groups.

Thanks in advance.
NCAA
11.16.b.3.

The pitched ball touches any part of the batter's person as she swings and misses for a third strike.

EFFECT-The ball is dead, the batter is declared out and each runner must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch.

If you made a bet, you won.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

It doesnt sound as if she missed the ball though. The batter did hit it and get hit at the same time. Is this a case of whether or not the bat made any contact with the ball or not?

Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Baldgriff:

Do not read too uch into it. THis was a hypothetical situation. We were haveing a discussino in the room not an actual field situation. NO bat all hand. Thank JEL but unfortunatly no bet was made.

Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baldgriff
It doesnt sound as if she missed the ball though. The batter did hit it and get hit at the same time. Is this a case of whether or not the bat made any contact with the ball or not?

But she did miss the ball. If she doesn't hit it with the bat, it is a miss.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by baldgriff

If that were the case, it would be just like safe/out... you have decide which it was. It either hit the bat first, then the hand (which would be a foul ball), or the hand first, then the bat (which is a 'dead ball' and, if she swung, a strike.)
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Wait!

But blue(s), the hands are part of the bat. Just kidding
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Troy:

I had a D1 coach with that argument last spring. I could not beleive her and she even made me go to my partner and ask him if the hands were part of the bat. He just looked at me and said " Are you kidding?" - "no" - "Well, then are you stupid?". I tried not to laugh and walked back to tell the coach the hands are not part of the bat. When I gave her the page number in the rulebook she ran back to the dugout, looked it up and then thhrew the book across the dugout.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by outathm
Troy:

I had a D1 coach with that argument last spring. I could not beleive her and she even made me go to my partner and ask him if the hands were part of the bat. He just looked at me and said " Are you kidding?" - "no" - "Well, then are you stupid?". I tried not to laugh and walked back to tell the coach the hands are not part of the bat. When I gave her the page number in the rulebook she ran back to the dugout, looked it up and then thhrew the book across the dugout.
Yet, the NCAA doesn't want the ASA logo anywhere near their game because they believe it belittles their game as it relates to the "amateur" status. Go figure!

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Oct 18th, 2005 at 02:21 PM]