The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

This past weekend at a local "state" meeting, discussions came up about the entire process of how the ASA developes what they carry, who they give the contracts to, etc. I am soon to contact the ASA guy I believe is involved somehow.
What would you all like to see, or see changed. Does anyone even know of the communication line between the ASA & us when it comes to feedback from we peons to the gods.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

The person to talk to is Walter Sparks, the Regional UIC from Texas. Walter chairs the umpire uniform committee, and directs the ASA Properties people to find what is needed, and what is acceptable.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

The man I spoke to last night was Kevin Ryan. He advised that the feedback from the umpires in the country needs to be channeled thru the Regional UIC's. I am in Region 3. Regional UIC's file reports quarterly on various topics.
Uniforms are supposedly looked at and evaluated all year long. At this time I am unsure when the ASA finally decides each year what items and what styles to carry, and then prepares to go to print with the ASA Properties folks.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper

What would you all like to see, or see changed.

I am the worlds worst (or maybe best?) "hater of change". Once I get set in my ways. I can't bear the thought of doing things differently. I would cast my vote as "same old, same old". That way I won't have to buy any new stuff!

chuck, What kinda changes have you in mind?
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The man I spoke to last night was Kevin Ryan. He advised that the feedback from the umpires in the country needs to be channeled thru the Regional UIC's. I am in Region 3. Regional UIC's file reports quarterly on various topics.
Uniforms are supposedly looked at and evaluated all year long. At this time I am unsure when the ASA finally decides each year what items and what styles to carry, and then prepares to go to print with the ASA Properties folks.
You got the standard "go through the chain of command" answer that you could expect when you talk to the top man. Of course, you can tell your local/state UIC, who will tell Bob Savoie (your Regional UIC), who will report to the committee; or, you can just tell the committee chair if you have some definitive ideas that should be considered.

For that matter, you could just tell Mike here (Irishmafia), who has direct a pipeline to Bob.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Just thinking out loud. The "new mesh" shirt needs seems to be tapered. Fine for you thin guys. The Dalco or +pos cuts are much more friendly. I would also appreciate having the pocket put back on the shirt. Bring back the ball bag with elastic at the top. Many of us have trouble with the 4 stitch cap when using a mask. Would be nice to see a small bill again.
I truely wish I had saved my old ASA Properties literature from the Mid-70's when I first started. I and many also loved the elbeco poly/cotton pullover. I don't miss the button up elbeco one bit. I believe even the NSA & USSSA folks have gone to a poly/cotton pullover & dropped their button up's as well.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe even the NSA & USSSA folks have gone to a poly/cotton pullover & dropped their button up's as well.
USSSA uses the red micro-mesh. Have for several years now.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Just thinking out loud. The "new mesh" shirt needs seems to be tapered. Fine for you thin guys. The Dalco or +pos cuts are much more friendly. I would also appreciate having the pocket put back on the shirt. Bring back the ball bag with elastic at the top. Many of us have trouble with the 4 stitch cap when using a mask. Would be nice to see a small bill again.
I truely wish I had saved my old ASA Properties literature from the Mid-70's when I first started. I and many also loved the elbeco poly/cotton pullover. I don't miss the button up elbeco one bit. I believe even the NSA & USSSA folks have gone to a poly/cotton pullover & dropped their button up's as well.

AMEN, on the elastic ball bag- it takes me a couple of tries to put a ball in the 'new' bags,whereas with the elastic I can roll it right in.

What I wanna know is why they discontinued SWEATERS!!! Obviously a bunch of Southerners making THOSE descisions....lol

I also dislike just the plain 'ASA' on the ball bags, jackets, etc...looks too plain and generic to me...

LOVE the so-called 'leisure' cap- actually wore it on the bases once,and no one noticed!!!
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Quote:

I am the worlds worst (or maybe best?) "hater of change". Once I get set in my ways. I can't bear the thought of doing things differently. I would cast my vote as "same old, same old". That way I won't have to buy any new stuff!

Some people may call that just being cheap.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Quote:

Some people may call that just being cheap.
HEY....I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK!!! (hee hee)

chuck chopper,

I also don't like the 4 stitch under my mask. It seems to block a bit of the view rather than cause trouble getting the mask off. I like the fitted beanie for plate work. I had a local embroidery shop put the ASA logo, and flag on one for me, it cost about 20 bucks but it was worth it. Dick Gayler didn't let me wear it at Nationals this year though. I did ask him first.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
I like the fitted beanie for plate work. I had a local embroidery shop put the ASA logo, and flag on one for me, it cost about 20 bucks but it was worth it. Dick Gayler didn't let me wear it at Nationals this year though. I did ask him first.
Is what I am hearing here an admission that you have counterfieted a licensed and registered logo?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Hopefully the ASA people read this forum. These are despirate times !, and buying generic or other brands of articles and adding a logo does happen more then you think.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
I like the fitted beanie for plate work. I had a local embroidery shop put the ASA logo, and flag on one for me, it cost about 20 bucks but it was worth it. Dick Gayler didn't let me wear it at Nationals this year though. I did ask him first.
Is what I am hearing here an admission that you have counterfieted a licensed and registered logo?

Naw,

I just like wearing my grandma's initials; Alma Smith Adams! (the flag also came out with only 11 stripes, but it still looks good!).

Old Tue Oct 18, 2005, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't miss the button up elbeco one bit.
Oh man, I do. Double heavy starched and be careful not to cut yourself on the sleeve creases.