The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Talking

If some one can help me with this stat I would appreciate it. I know this is an Official's site so who else better to come to for answer.

Runner on 3rd and 2nd, 1st base empty, with one out. Batter bunts the ball fair, is cleanly fielded by the pitcher who doesn't look at all to first base but attempts to get the out at 3rd. The runner on 3rd although stumbling and bumbling is able to get back to 3rd safely. Before the throw. Is this considered a sacrifice, single or Fielders choice. Does there have to be an advancement of a runner to be a sacrifice? Does all intentional bunts with an out or not considered a sacrifice, or does it depend on what the Defense does....
Thanks in advance for you guys help....
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Fielders Choice all the way...............
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

There has to be an advancement for a sacrifice to be scored. In this case, this is simply one judgment; if fielder could have put out the batter, but chose not to, and no one advanced, it is a fielders choice. If fielder could have put out the batter, but chose not to, and someone advanced, that is a sacrificea and safe on a fielders choice. If fielder could not have put out the batter, so chose another play as the only chance for an out, and failed, that is a base hit.