The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 21, 2001, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I know must of you vets probably dont have this problem now. But in your early days did you ever have that 1 coach that just seemed to be able to say and do the right thing that really got under your skin causing you to lose you concentration and control of the game??

If what if any advise would you have for myself I have found myself in this predicament it seem 95%+ of the games have been going great no real problems until I seem to get this coach which seems to know how to push my buttons and make me lose control in trying to keep my control I find myself doing real dumb stuff like losing track of outs, balls & strikes.

His knowledge of the game is good and he uses it to every advantage possible. I think his team plays dirty but knows and trys to get away with as much as possible. Has a habit of calling for the count right before a pitcher pitches usally does this 5 or 6 times a game. Likes to have his players appeal runners leaving early every time there is a tag-up situation then when they dont get the call act like they just been cheated. Always likes to say your not getting his pitcher the outside or inside corner strikes but always vice versa when his batter are up. The continuing of this what I would call nagging just drives me bananas I usally find myself losing concentration then control of the game.

Besides just tossing the coach in the coach's premeeting any advice would be appreciated since this coach just seems to ignore warnings

Thanks

Don
Old Sat Apr 21, 2001, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Don,
What age group is this? If adult ball, I'd suggest a few of the "Carl Childress FY calls" If it's youth ball, there should be some way of letting him know that stuff will cost him every single banger. That's if you don't want to toss him.
Old Sat Apr 21, 2001, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Abolutely Don......

Put them in there place early and you will not have that problem.........give them the look and tell them....."we're done here".......

In 5 years.......I have still yet to have my first ejection.......but there has been some coaches that have "yanked" my chain. I like to think that I call such a "perfect" game......that the coaches don't bother me........LOL......(BG)

I have worked 55 games this spring.......and one thing I have learned is......."coaches will be coaches"......If I have a problem..........the "look" has usually been good enough (I have gotten pretty damn good at the look).

Once I have gotten past "the look".......I give the ole'............"OK Coach.......I heard you........we're burning up game time......let's play ball"

As a retired coach......I maybe give a little extra leeway.............but, not TOO far..............

Joel

Old Sat Apr 21, 2001, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

It may be difficult to adjust at first, but just work on blowing him off.

Just because he requests the count, does not mean you must give it. Just because they request an appeal, does not mean you MUST honor it. Don't read that wrong. You should honor a valid appeal, but if it continues through the game, blow him off! If he argues, tell him you believe he is making a travesty of the game with his frivilous appeals and if it continues, someone is leaving and it isn't going to be you.

Doesn't like your strike zone and wants to discuss it? "Coach, are you arguing ball-strike calls? Well, it sounded like it to me, so consider this your team warning. By the way, coach, in accordance with rule 4.9.B, I am required to eject the next member of your team who argues balls and strikes."

If he acts as a base coach and you really want to get under his skin, wait for him to move a little too close to the foul line, or toward the plate. Loudly, call time, step out from behind the plate, remove your mask, point at him and say, "Coach, back in the box, please!"

They'll see the smoke coming out of his ears from center field. When he claims there is no coach's box lined, just tell him that he has enough experience to know where he is supposed to be.

Hard-line? Yep. Attention-getting? Absolutely! Mean? Okay, maybe. Effective? Depends on how arrogant/stupid the coach is.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2001, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Next time he asks for the count when the pitcher's about to pitch, call time and tell him that's verbal interference meant to distract the pitcher, and the next time anyone on his team does it - EJECTION.

Bob
Old Sun Apr 22, 2001, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Thanks for the replies Guys,

Will try your suggestions next week

Don