Thread: Coach INT
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What do you do if there is no play?

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Mike,

If interference occurs but in the judgement of the umpire no play was possible, as in this case, do we have a live ball? Or do we kill it so the the offense does not get an advantage and put any runners back to the last base touched at the time of the interference?

Thanks!
Randall
If a runner is still attempting to advance, then a play is possible and interference would be the call if the umpire judged there could have been a play made.

If the runner pulls up to 2B and, in my judgment, is not going to attempt to advance farther, once the C gets a hold of that ball, I'm killing it. If the runner rounds 2B and is heading toward 3B, there is a possible play.

Before everyone wants to disect this with the "what ifs", forget it. It is judgment that YOU, the umpire, is going to have to make. My only point was that the entanglement between coach and fielder does not automatically mean there is an INT call.