The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 16, 2001, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Runner on 2nd and one out. Ground ball to short and the throw goes to first. First baseman returns throw to 3rd to get the runner advancing. Who's call?

I see this miss handled at times.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2001, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Standard mechanics designate the plate umpire to move down the line and take that play at third base.The base umpire would then move into the plate area to cover a possible play at the plate in the event of a mishap at third.As a plate umpire,that is the way I prefer to cover that play as I always discuss it in my pre game conference.Some umpires prefer to have the base umpire make both calls since he already begins the play in the "C" position.In my chapter,either way is acceptable as long as it is covered in the pre game.

Jeff
Old Mon Apr 16, 2001, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Jeff pretty much has this one covered, but then he offered up both possibilities so I guess that is to be expected.

I prefer to have the PU cover the play at 3rd as well. The key here is that this situation must be covered in your pregame, and the PU should vocalize "I've got 3rd" to remind the BU that he's covering that play.
Old Mon Apr 16, 2001, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

ASA says the PU always has third with the exception of the initial throw of a play that goes to third and trailing runners.

My pregame is, "coverage by the book, if you change up, just let me know".

Old Mon Apr 16, 2001, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

I just want to add another point to this thread.As I said,I prefer the standard mechanics for covering this play.I feel it gives the appearance of good hustle and teamwork to the umpiring crew.I also think the angle achieved by the plate umpire moving down the line into the infield side of third base is far better than the base ump calling that play outside the infield.It is also easier for the base ump to sell the whacker at first if he is closer to the play inside the infield.The base ump after making that call must immediately hustle to cover the plate area vacated by the plate umpire.Believe me guys(and girls),this rotation play when done correctly looks and works great!Make sure to discuss this with your partner in pre game.

Jeff
Old Mon Apr 16, 2001, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Yup, it does lood good when done right. And using standard, book mechanics & all makes things a whole lot easier especially when working with someone you don't regularly work with.