The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Love a close call at the plate (my DD is a catcher), but often wonder if I'm in the best position for the call. Our HS association recommends calling from the infield in front of the plate when possible. Easy to get there on a throw in from the outfield, but on passed pitches, or a runner leaving third on a bunt, a lot depends on the play.

Again, I realize this has probably been covered before, but I'm relatively new to the forum. Looking for advice and some insight going into our mechanics clinic this weekend.

I was upset about this safe call at the time, but looking back, the catcher rolled to her left on a passed pitch and PU moved to his right and was in good position (not in the picture, but player's eyes are focused on him).
http://www.thegraphicsmith.net/galle..._aug05/MG_1165
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Your position is dictated by both the preceding action and development of the play.

If you are working alone with runners on base, you may be coming from the center of the diamond and reacting to the throw, in which case you may be inside the diamond.

In a two umpire system you may have a responsibility at third and the play may continue to the plate at which point you can only hope to get to your third base extended, 90 degree calling position.

However, if you have the luxury of being at the plate when the play develops (which I believe is the intent of your question) then:

You should start half way between the first and third base extended positions recognizing the position of the catcher (for obstruction purposes), reading the throw and the tendancy/direction of the runner. If the runner is coming straight down the line, and you see that the tag will be in front of the plate (along the third base line) rotate to first base extended to get your 90 degree angle as the runner comes into the plate. If the runner angles away from the line for a sweep slide, your best position to see the tag of the runner and contact with home is third base extened with the runner coming toward you. This allows you to clearly see if the tag is applied or missed and relative to the player reaching home.

In all cases you want to be about 5 - 8 feet from the play in a set position at the time of the tag. In the case of the third base extended position, or a sweep tag when you can't get to this position you may need to be closer to look over the top of the play to get all the information you need, though this is less desirable.

In the picture you provided, I think the umpire is in the proper calling position, though I would like to see him closer to the play, like the back corner of the left handed batters box.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rharrell
Love a close call at the plate (my DD is a catcher), but often wonder if I'm in the best position for the call. Our HS association recommends calling from the infield in front of the plate when possible. Easy to get there on a throw in from the outfield, but on passed pitches, or a runner leaving third on a bunt, a lot depends on the play.

Again, I realize this has probably been covered before, but I'm relatively new to the forum. Looking for advice and some insight going into our mechanics clinic this weekend.

I was upset about this safe call at the time, but looking back, the catcher rolled to her left on a passed pitch and PU moved to his right and was in good position (not in the picture, but player's eyes are focused on him).
http://www.thegraphicsmith.net/galle..._aug05/MG_1165
Speaking ASA

If a play at the plate is imminent, the starting point is toward the rear of the RH batter's box. Mind you, I said starting point.

I don't believe an umpire can go to a certain point for any call. While 1B & 3B lines-extended may be a good focal point, I've seen some umpire run to that particular point and try to make a call they literally did not see.

Wade is correct that you must observe the direction from which the ball is approaching as well as the runner's anticipated path. I try to place my viewpoint in the center of the gap between the runner and defender attempting the play. Using that point, I try to swivel to retain that shrinking gap in my line of sight. As the play get's closer, I will move closer if appropriate to make sure I can easily swing one way or the other should either player make a last second adjustment.

What I don't like is making a call trailing the runner from the holding zone, but depending on the number of umpires and base responsibilities (and an occasional stupid selection of play by a defender), it is sometimes not possible to get into the a perfect position.

Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
What I don't like is making a call trailing the runner from the holding zone, but depending on the number of umpires and base responsibilities (and an occasional stupid selection of play by a defender), it is sometimes not possible to get into the a perfect position.
I get stuck on this much more often than I'd like in a single ump situation, and I've been considering it a fault in my mechanics; yet another bad habit I'm trying to break. I hate making those kinds of calls: they always seem contraversial for some reason

The worst thing that can happen when I get stuck in that HZ position is that the defender's throw will come in from somewhere way off to my left, and it will arrive offline; leaving F3 the only option of having to tag the BR. And of course, now I'm way out of position to make the call: no perspective to tell whether or not the tag touched the BR in the back.

Temporary adjustment I'm testing out: move the HZ right in front of the pitcher's plate (about 3-5 feet short, not 20-30 feet short) when the imminent play is NOT at 3B or home. I've asked pitchers about this, and nobody will tell me to my face that they mind, as long as I don't collide with them. This gives me the near 90 degree angle on 1B that I seek, even if I don't have time to react/predict the flight of the ball. It also makes the distance to the other final positions on the inside of the diamond shorter. So far, it seems to be working out.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by CelticNHBlue

A slightly delayed welcome to the forum, Wade. Where have you been all this time?
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by noobie
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
I get stuck on this much more often than I'd like in a single ump situation, and I've been considering it a fault in my mechanics; yet another bad habit I'm trying to break. I hate making those kinds of calls: they always seem contraversial for some reason

The worst thing that can happen when I get stuck in that HZ position is that the defender's throw will come in from somewhere way off to my left, and it will arrive offline; leaving F3 the only option of having to tag the BR. And of course, now I'm way out of position to make the call: no perspective to tell whether or not the tag touched the BR in the back.

Temporary adjustment I'm testing out: move the HZ right in front of the pitcher's plate (about 3-5 feet short, not 20-30 feet short) when the imminent play is NOT at 3B or home. I've asked pitchers about this, and nobody will tell me to my face that they mind, as long as I don't collide with them. This gives me the near 90 degree angle on 1B that I seek, even if I don't have time to react/predict the flight of the ball. It also makes the distance to the other final positions on the inside of the diamond shorter. So far, it seems to be working out.
Noobie,

How did we get from the plate to 1b?

I wouldn't be running out to the middle of the infield all too quick just because you don't think there is a play at 3B or home. These players don't always throw the ball to the right base and quite often, think their arms can get that runner 5' from the plate. You do not want to get in the middle of a play.

BTW, if this is a reaction to the player's cry of, "Blue, you need to get out here and make that call", give them your UIC's phone number since they obviously think they know what your mechanics are supposed to be.

Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I hate seeing umpires trying to make the call on a play at the plate after a passed ball from the 1st base side of the plate. Far too often, they are blocked by all relevant action by the pitcher's back. MOST of the time, you can get a good angle if you start where Mike said - the back of the RHB batter's box, and adjust to the play based on where the throw is coming from and where the fielder making the play is coming from.

After reading Noobie's post I was wondering why F3 was covering home.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Erps ... guess I could read the topic, huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
After reading Noobie's post I was wondering why F3 was covering home.
Heh. Long day, apologies. I'd focused on Mike's remark about trailing the runner from the HZ, and was thinking about a sitch that had happened to me down the 1B line. It had NOTHING to do with this topic. Maybe I shoulda started another one.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to hijack the thread.