View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by noobie
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
What I don't like is making a call trailing the runner from the holding zone, but depending on the number of umpires and base responsibilities (and an occasional stupid selection of play by a defender), it is sometimes not possible to get into the a perfect position.
I get stuck on this much more often than I'd like in a single ump situation, and I've been considering it a fault in my mechanics; yet another bad habit I'm trying to break. I hate making those kinds of calls: they always seem contraversial for some reason

The worst thing that can happen when I get stuck in that HZ position is that the defender's throw will come in from somewhere way off to my left, and it will arrive offline; leaving F3 the only option of having to tag the BR. And of course, now I'm way out of position to make the call: no perspective to tell whether or not the tag touched the BR in the back.

Temporary adjustment I'm testing out: move the HZ right in front of the pitcher's plate (about 3-5 feet short, not 20-30 feet short) when the imminent play is NOT at 3B or home. I've asked pitchers about this, and nobody will tell me to my face that they mind, as long as I don't collide with them. This gives me the near 90 degree angle on 1B that I seek, even if I don't have time to react/predict the flight of the ball. It also makes the distance to the other final positions on the inside of the diamond shorter. So far, it seems to be working out.
Noobie,

How did we get from the plate to 1b?

I wouldn't be running out to the middle of the infield all too quick just because you don't think there is a play at 3B or home. These players don't always throw the ball to the right base and quite often, think their arms can get that runner 5' from the plate. You do not want to get in the middle of a play.

BTW, if this is a reaction to the player's cry of, "Blue, you need to get out here and make that call", give them your UIC's phone number since they obviously think they know what your mechanics are supposed to be.